An extended home demo, thanks to my dealer. (long read, sorry)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've hinted about it a few times but I'm looking to replace my B&W's with something better, budget however is limited. Just this day I went to a local hi-fi shop I frequently browse, though never bought much to be honest, atleast nothing expensive.

During my demo in the shop I listened to Focal Chorus 705, 706, 806, Monitor Audio BR2's, Castle Richmond 3i, and some Acoustic Enegery's.

Reason for me demoing the Focal is this: a friend has a pair of 705's in his living room, paired with a Marantz PM66SE-KI and Marantz CD5000 and the combinations sounds really special.

During my demo I however found that there's quite a difference between the 705 and 706's, with the latter carrying much more weight (bass extension) and a much better defined midrange. The 806 were a little bit better than the 706, but I couldn't justify the extra outlay for a marginal better performance and finish.

Even though I much wanted to like the Monitor Audio Br2's, they sounded muffled compared to the Focal speakers, bland and boring. I was however disillusioned, the Focal's sounded worse than I had heard them at a friends house, bass just wasn't there, it was all highs and midrange, and nothing else. The shopkeeper told me it was due to the demoroom, which was oddly shaped. This sounded logical, but I also had my doubts because of the Cambridge Audio pairing (340SE and 340A) they used for their standmounts. The shopkeeper however was adament that the CA set was up to snuff in driving the Focal's adequatly. I however was disillusioned, what I was hearing wasn't much better than my B&W's.

The shopkeeper told me I could demo the speakers at home, to see how they faired with my Marantz kit and more importantly with my room. Fair enough, I thanked him for his time and said I'd be back sometime to pick the speakers up.

Two hours later I was in the shop again, to ask for a home demo. Much to my surprise, he just my name and telephone number, and didn't ask for a down-payment on the speakers.

Bringing the speakers back home I quickly compared them to my 601's, the highs are much clearer, the mid is a bit better pronounced, but I'm missing some bass slam. The highs being so pronounced are very screechy when I'm playing rock music, they sound flawless however when I'm playing classical music. I just had goose-bumps when I listened to 'Die Zauberflöte' and I can't recall the last time this has happened.

I'm disillusioned, yes the Focal's are better in some areas, but are ruthless when it comes to bad recordings, where my 601's are much more forgiving. I want to like them very much, but I just can't justify the extra cost.

To cut a long story short, I don't know what else to demo, I thought the Focal's would be it for me, but it doesn't appear so. I however have them for the whole weeken so will continue to listen to them thoroughly. Does anyone have any recommendations speaker wise? Something with a strong midrange and well extended bass, and clear high's, but not too pronounced? I've been thinking Mordaunt Short Mezzo 2's, but having heard them several times during a demo they never impressed..

Edit: wow, this turned out to be quite a long read. I'm sorry, but thanks to anyone willing to read it and respond!

A

Anonymous

How about some EPOS M12.2? Bloody good speakers if they match well. I can imagine you're quite used to a lot of bass with those B&Ws. You could also try the B&W 685s.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the suggestion Igglebert, my dealer does carry Epos speakers, but doesn't have the M12.2's in, and even though I'm sure he'd order them in if I mentioned them, I'm not going to ask him, because I might not buy them and he might be stuck with them.

Would Monitor Audio RS1's be something for me, I had a brief listen to the RS6's and these sounded amazing! I think I however might be wooed because of their brightness, just like happened with the Focal's and that with longer listening they might become fatiguing. One thing that struck me as odd though was the muffled sound of the BR2's, I could swear I read many times that were very bright paired with CA kit but instead they just sounded dark brown.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Jan Hibma:The shopkeeper told me I could demo the speakers at home, to see how they faired with my Marantz kit and more importantly with my room. Fair enough, I thanked him for his time and said I'd be back sometime to pick the speakers up.

Two hours later I was in the shop again, to ask for a home demo. Much to my surprise, he just my name and telephone number, and didn't ask for a down-payment on the speakers.

And that's the difference between a (very trusting) dealer and a retailer.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
Jan Hibma:The shopkeeper told me I could demo the speakers at home, to see how they faired with my Marantz kit and more importantly with my room. Fair enough, I thanked him for his time and said I'd be back sometime to pick the speakers up.

And that's the difference between a (very trusting) dealer and a retailer.

And one reason why I much rather want to spend my money there than somewhere else, especially online. They're very kind and have always been very helpful.

A

Anonymous

I used to have the MA RS1s and have to admit that they're great for the money. I changed them because I didn't like their zing, a Silver series signature. I also thought the bass was a bit suspect as it was a bit ill defined and occasionally boomy, but that was just my interpretation and experience.

The more you write the more I think that the Rega R3s or R5s might work for you. I'm not sure. They might be a tad bright with Marantz kit but I've never tried the mix. Good speakers when matched with the Mira 3 though!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Jan Hibma:And one reason why I much rather want to spend my money there than somewhere else, especially online. They're very kind and have always been very helpful.

Exactly.

A

Anonymous

igglebert:I used to have the MA RS1s and have to admit that they're great for the money. I changed them because I didn't like their zing, a Silver series signature. I also thought the bass was a bit suspect as it was a bit ill defined and occasionally boomy, but that was just my interpretation and experience.

The more you write the more I think that the Rega R3s or R5s might work for you. I'm not sure. They might be a tad bright with Marantz kit but I've never tried the mix. Good speakers when matched with the Mira 3 though!

I hate to admit it, but I actually prefer a boomy bass, as long as it's not overpowering the midrange. My B&W's have something of a bass hump, and I actually quite enjoy it (sometimes), even though this goes against audiophile standards.

Having read about them, I think the Rega's could also be something for me, but I also had this supiscion of the BR2's  nd Focal's, and that turned out to be a little different. The shop which I'm currently am lending the speakers from however doesn't stock Rega, a different store does, but the shopkeeper has always been very highbrow when I've been in his store..

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
well my suggestion is the m12.2 then as the Neutron is not bass heavy, but it will astound you with the highs for the money

ÿ

A

Anonymous

It sounds like a pair of used AVI Neutrons with a sub like an MJ Acoustics would work beautifully for you. You might be surprised what you can get them both for too.

A

Anonymous

AVI's are quite hard to come by here in the Netherlands here it seems, there are only two dealers according to an hifi site. Having had a look on the official pricelist of the importer, I have to admit that the speakers are just withing budget (675 euro per pair) where as I'm willing to spend as much as 700 euro per pair. The sub would have to wait a month or two, atleast.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Try them. The first time I heard the Neutrons I got shivers down the back of my neck from a couple of tunes they were that good. At the time I had been using Linn Index and B&W 601/3 speakers and they wiped the floor with them

ÿ

ÿ

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
Try them. The first time I heard the Neutrons I got shivers down the back of my neck from a couple of tunes they were that good. At the time I had been using Linn Index and B&W 601/3 speakers and they wiped the floor with them

Sounds quite promising indeed, localising a pair however might be incredibly though as I'm don't own a car and the nearest dealer is quite far away.

If anyone has any more suggestions, feel free to mention them.

A

Anonymous

This John Mayer also sounds very good on the Focal's, but anything with powerchords is causing the sound to be much brighter than I can handle..

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
They are the wrong speakers then

I listen for hours at a time and not once have I felt fatigued, that is very important to me

ÿ

ÿ

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:
They are the wrong speakers then

I listen for hours at a time and not once have I felt fatigued, that is very important to me

Jup, sadly. :-(

I can listen to my 601's for hours on end too, but I know I can improve on them, I just need to find the right speaker!

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Jan Hibma:This John Mayer also sounds very good on the Focal's, but anything with powerchords is causing the sound to be much brighter than I can handle..

the focals are quite fussy about placement - i found with mine that they need to speaced out a fair bit then toed in - i know what you mean about the top end - i think the tweeters go higher than some speaker manufactures - its quite a different sound - it took a good while before i got used to the way mine sounded - a lot clearer highs and mids and missing some low end - i have just added a sub to mine to fill that in and have to say i'm over the moon they have suddenly come in to their own - lot fuller sounds - bigger soundstage this sounds daft but a little extra bass seems to have tamed the top end or maybe thats just how my ears perceive it

A

Anonymous

Thanks for replying! Your reply got me thinking, I pushed my stands a bit more towards the wall, and toe-ed the speakers more in than I would with have done with my B&W's and the sound has gotter better.

I let the speakers play all day, having had them against eachother and with one speaker out of phase to run them in, it's improved the sound quite alot.

I just listened to some Fall Out Boy, Libertines and Dire Straits and then popped back my B&W's on their stands, played the same selection, and the difference was quite big, in favour of the Focal's! Guitars are much more layered, highs better defined and more midrange presence, the only thing still lacking is the bass.

I'm toying with the idea to keep them, see how they improve when they're properly run in (the demopair I lended were fresh out of the box) and if the bass is still lacking, might just add a small subwoofer.

A

Anonymous

To add to my decision woes, I also got quoted a great price on some Mezzo 2's at a different shop, 350 GBP instead of the regular 600gbp for NIB pair. (euro converted to gbp for your convenience).

What to do, what to do..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts