An amp to partner Kef Q 7.1. Pioneer or Yamaha?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello everybody. After spending what seems like an age renovating our new place I'm nearly ready to start filling it with toys >).

I picked up some lovely Kef Q's (900s, 600c, 800ds) along with a pair of T101s to form the 7.1 in the living room with my Monolith. I now need to partner them all to a meaty amp, and the question is, do I go for a Pioneer SC-LX86 or a Yamaha RX-A3020?

There don't seem to be many reviews of the Yamaha yet but the Pioneer rates very, very well. So which to go for? Will I notice much diffence between two such high end recievers? Which would match the speaker set up the best?

Thanks in advance.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Either receiver will do an amazing job with that speaker package, and you'd be we'll chuffed with either. If you like things clear and precise, you'll love the Pioneer. If you like things slightly smoother, thenYamaha will suit. Although, based on the speaker package, I would opt for the RXA3020, as you'll be able to set individual crossover points for all of your speakers - your Q800's will need something like 80Hz, the centre about 60Hz, and the Q900's about 50Hz. The Pioneer will only be able to give you a single crossover point, which I think is to stick closer to THX requirements.

I would still set all speakers to 80Hz for movie watching regardless of the speaker size, but that's a personal preference.

c0pperhead said:
Hello everybody. After spending what seems like an age renovating our new place I'm nearly ready to start filling it with toys >).

I picked up some lovely Kef Q's (900s, 600c, 800ds) along with a pair of T101s to form the 7.1 in the living room with my Monolith. I now need to partner them all to a meaty amp, and the question is, do I go for a Pioneer SC-LX86 or a Yamaha RX-A3020?

There don't seem to be many reviews of the Yamaha yet but the Pioneer rates very, very well. So which to go for? Will I notice much diffence between two such high end recievers? Which would match the speaker set up the best?

Thanks in advance.

Hi c0pperhead

The Aventage RX-A3020 has only recently been released. Probably why there aren't many reviews of the RX-A3020.

I'll recommend the Aventage RX-A3020 as the KEF's presentation is likely to form a far better tonal match with the rich and full bodied presentation of the Yamaha.

Btw, Anthem's MRX 700 AV receiver is also worth serious consideration.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Cheers chaps.

Seeing as you two seemed to be in rare agreement I thought that the Yamaha was definitely the way to go, and am now the pround owner of an RX-A3020 and an RX-V473 for the Kef Ts in our bedroom :grin:

The impatience of waitng for everything to be installed is going to kill me (we don't even have the place fully rewired yet!). :pray:

Hi c0pperhead

Your welcome and i hope that you enjoy the performance of your systems for many years to come
smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
c0pperhead said:
Cheers chaps.

Seeing as you two seemed to be in rare agreement

Rick at Musicraft and David at Frank Harvey do agree from time to time! (But just not with me about setting Large speakers to Small! I prefer to keep Large speakers as Large.)

I can't imagine that the Yamaha RX-A3020 won't get a very good review in due course - its predecessor, the 3010 was very well reviewed here http://www.whathifi.com/review/yamaha-rx-a3010 and here http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/yamaha-rx-a3010-pre and in most detail here http://www.homecinemachoice.com/news/article/yamaha-rx-a3010-av-receiver-review/10783 and I think that the 3020 adds features like 4K video passthrough.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts