Amps with VU meters? what to buy?

newwy

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi all

I really love VU meters and would like to buy a stereo amplifier with a couple of honking VU meters on board! (just like in the old days)

I know Luxman make lovely amps with VU meters but at a couple of grand £, are a bit out of my league.

Is there such a thing as a 'stand alone' VU meter unit? Maybe a nice box with a couple of meters on that can be plugged into an existing set up.

Just for looks of course, they don't have to do anything!!!....just dance!! Anything out there? Or am I being silly?

dayglowred7

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi, try the DENON POA 1500 mk2 if you really have to have vu meters , Soundcraftsmen is another but will be costly.

The DENON is probably circa late 70s early eighties so you should find a good one on the bay cheap enough.

Not my thing but hope this helps.

sound wise not sure , have fun ;)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
teac-ai-501da-usb-dac-amplifier-black-front.jpg

http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/TEAC-AI-501DA-Amplifier-with-192kHz-USB-and-DAC/product_7107

regards

newwy

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the quick replies ... That TEAC looks interesting, but not sure of its sonic properties. I guess I will have to look at vintage stuff on the bay.
I know its not everyones cup of tea but there is something I love about VU meters dancing to the music. I guess it goes back to childhood and watching in fascination at my old mans and brothers hifi equipment as the meters honked!
The Luxmans are beautiful but cost £4-5 grand...lol

newwy

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
I do listen to the music but I just think they add a nice touch to an amplifier, I guess I am just being nostalgic..
A lot of gear from the 1970's had VU meters and I remember them fondly. Making tapes on my brothers Teac cassette deck (with meters).
No need for you to give up just yet...lol

newwy

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
WOW,,,,nice. I wonder if it sounds as good as it looks.?
But its deffo lottery spending money though!

its one of those beasts they call a 'shelfbender'...weighs about 30Kg !

newwy

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Yamaha products are always very nicely made with quality components. Do they still make all of their stuff in Japan?
I used to swear by anything Japanese made but for quite a few years now the Japs have been outsourcing to China.
That amp will last a lifetime, looks like its built like a tank. On a side note, I wonder what sort of profit margin there is on that £4000?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
what you need is this.....

jungson_ja88d.jpg

Buy out of Hong kong, about $750, expect about £1k into the UK, carriage, tax and duty paid.

A good reputation and 80 watts pure class A, whats not to like?

newwy

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Plenty of VU's going on here.....lol
How about a nice early 70's Kenwood 'Jumbo Jet' ?
I 've got to get one of these beasts...

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
newwy said:
Nice, davedotco .....but a grand?? ouch

Seriously........ :wall:

A highly regarded amplifier which can deliver 80 wpc in pure class A or 200wpc class AB, balanced inputs and VU meters to die for and you are complaining at £1000.

Are you mad?

BTW. Not obvious from the picture but that amplifier is the size and weight of a Krell an needs two people to lift it, I know you are not buying by the pound, but that is a serious bit of kit.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
floyd droid said:
newwy said:
its one of those beasts they call a 'shelfbender'...weighs about 30Kg !

Thats a girls amp mate , 30kg and full of trannies , pah lightweight shiyte

th_hiding.gif

If Alice Morgan is the girl in question then it will do for me........ :p

This is the amplifier I have coveted the most in recent times....

http://www.redrosemusic.com/model_one.shtml

Sadly I can not find a really good pic.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
These Technics ones are quite serious -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Technics-SE-A900-Mark-II-SU-C800U-MII-power-amp-preamplifier-MOS-FET-VGC-/151151980538?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item23315c2ffa

:)

AmigaNut

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
newwy said:
WOW,,,,nice. I wonder if it sounds as good as it looks.? But its deffo lottery spending money though! its one of those beasts they call a 'shelfbender'...weighs about 30Kg !

I would love one in black, have to wait til Richer drop them down to £300 maybe? LOL.

AmigaNut

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
AmigaNut said:
newwy said:
WOW,,,,nice. I wonder if it sounds as good as it looks.? But its deffo lottery spending money though! its one of those beasts they call a 'shelfbender'...weighs about 30Kg !

I would love one in black, have to wait til Richer drop them down to £300 maybe? LOL.

AmigaNut
Stunning are they not...........:clap:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts