Amps Hi-Fi Pro Audio

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Amps- Hi-fi/Pro audio

Hello all,

I am new here so I apologise if this has been discussed previously .

I have a few bits of budget hi fi gear that I regularly listen to. At the minute I am enjoying my new tannoy mercury f4 customs . I don’t yet have a new amp so I tried it with my rotel ra 930 ax (amp). Didn’t quite sound right compared to my nad 3240 pe (amp) (both old models). So I settled with the nad.

However in the past I have liked listening to both my wharfedale diamond 8.3’s and my mordaunt short 902i’s with my crown xs 500 (pro audio amp) . I tried it with my new tannoys and it took a couple of minutes to get used to its sound but I still like it a lot. I wondered if anybody here has listened to a fairly decent pro audio amp with hi fi speakers and what they thought. I would especially be interested in any input from what hi-fi as obvs they know what’s what. All input would be much appreciated though.

Cheers all

A

Anonymous

With pro audio amps, you have to know what you are doing - some amps seem good on paper, but really fail to deliver in the real world. To be honest, they're fairly pointless in a home, because there's no way your going to need all 400watts of the Crown! But the XS500 is a nice pro amp - my cousin has one for his DJ work (along with a pair of JBL speakers) and it is a very, very good amp for the money (he got it for £550).

Do be careful not to give it too much welly though - those Tannoys aren't supposed to handle that much power!

A

Anonymous

the crown has quite a distinct sound. it has a very precise ,restrained and detailed sound. I think that the soundstage lacks space and depth compared to my nad. and the top end lacks extension as does the low end (deliberately cut to prevent speaker damage and power wastage) . You don't so much notice the lower end being cut, it's the high end that you notice lacks extension. the whole sound the amp puts out is very sharp and precise. I would almost describe it as harsh but there is no ear fatigue even at higher listening volumes. The bass is very sharp; I tend to find that the detail of the bass sound is lost with my nad and my rotel and the bass is just bass rather than a detailed sound as the crown makes it to be. maybe time to upgrade amps/buy a new pa amp so i can use the crown in my setup
emotion-1.gif

thanks for the heads up about overpowering but i know the risks . am yet to hit the stops on these speakers. plus you know what they say ;an underpowered amp clipping is worse than a overpowered amp slightly overdriving your speakers.

A

Anonymous

Yes, I would say there is a treble cut, but the bass cut isn't really that noticeable because it only starts at about 20hz, and very few speakers can really hit that sort of depth properly! If those Tannoys can though, I'm getting myself a pair for the garage!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts