Amplifier to match KEF iQ5SE Speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I just picked up a pair of KEF IQ5 SE speakers for a good price, I'm interested in peoples opinions in an amplifier to match these. I listen to alot of hip hop and some drum n bass. I'm on a bit of a budget but I'm not planning on upgrading for a long time so I'd rather get something I'm happy with, any suggestions? 

A

Anonymous

I have got my eye on the RA04 but 40 watts per channel doesn't seem like very much. Had my eye on an ex display Cambridge audio azur 640a for £150 from richer sounds but when I called them up they didn't have it in stock, any thoughts on that amplifier?

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
The Rotel RA-04 will drive the IQ5SE speakers with ease, no problems at all. It sounds very powerful, don't worry about that.

A

Anonymous

The IQ5SE's are relatively easy to drive. (See my sig for amp suggestion)

A

Anonymous

The Rotel RA-04 is very capible so you would have no problems. I just bought the RB-06 and now bi-amp the IQ5SE's and it sounds even better! Get it done! Let us know how you get on.

A

Anonymous

Well I decided to go with the Rotel RA 04, it should be arriving sometime this week. Will let you know how I get on with it.

Most of my music collection is on my computer as MP3 and other digital audio files, how can I link my computer to my amp to get the best possible sound? I'm going to invest in a sound card (currently onboard Soundmax HD Audio), but would I see much improvement connecting my sound card up to a DAC via SPDIF as opposed to just plugging a high quality 3.5mm jack -> RCA cable from my sound cards line out into the back of my amp.

A

Anonymous

Concerning your digital music, have a look at the Fubar II from Firestone. If you buy direct from their website it'll be about £80 delivered.

The principle is very neat: plug in via USB; this bi-passes the PC soundcard and sends a digital signal to the Fubar, which does its DAC thing and sends an analogue out via RCA's. It has an external power supply if you don't want to run it off the USB power, and the opamps are interchangeable so in theory it is highly upgradeable for little dollar, should the urge take you.

Mine should be arriving this week, so I'll pop a post up when I've had a listen. All things considered I thought it was very good value for money and very useful (especially as I am using digital content from my laptop which has a dreadful soundcard).

Something to consider perhaps. Russ Andrews are re-sellers and rate it highly, for what that's worth.

A

Anonymous

Well it definately looks interesting and affordable, I'll look forwarding to seeing what you think of it.

A

Anonymous

Toebee:

Most of my music collection is on my computer as MP3 and other digital audio files, how can I link my computer to my amp to get the best possible sound?

A lot depends on the quality of the downloaded files. MP3 and other commpressed formats are never going to sound as good as CD on your new system.
emotion-6.gif

A

Anonymous

Yeah this is true, but I'll probably rip the best CDs into an uncompressed format.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts