Amplifier/Streamer Recommendation for the Shed?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As an Englishman's shed is his castle I would like to upgrade my shed's sound system...

I currently have a 1990s vintage Pioneer car stereo hooked up to a pair of what I think are 1970s vintage KEFs. Would like to upgrade to something that whilst having a better sound can also play digital files (mixture of MP3, Ogg, WAV, FLAC, etc, but could transcode if needed) via a USB drive. Would also like DAB and FM radio. Doubt I need ooddles of power down there.

Wireless streaming and internet radio might be of use if I ever expand the broadband out of the house (currently no signal/connection down the shed but could fit an external repeater at some point).

Any recommendations?

The shed isn't particularly big (12' x12') with metal cabinets around 2/3rds of the walls and a big work bench so acoustics won't be perfect but ideally I want something that can just play away in the background whilst I'm fiddling about down there. Music collection is pretty eclectic, generally anything goes.

Haven't really thought about a budget but the cheaper the better in case it gets nicked.

Sorry this isn't really audiophile but having recently upgraded the home amplification to a s/h Supernait really feel I should also improve the shed...

Thanks.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
What about this:

http://www.kronosav.com/products#!/~/product/category=1680648&id=7745370

I'm not techie enough to know if it meets all your needs, but it's probably worth checking out.

Edit. For some reason the link isn't working....it's the Cocktail X10 music server system.

A

Anonymous

All,

Thanks for your recommendations.

Much as I would like either the Cyrus or Naim streamer/amplifiers I am planning on doing my CBT/mod1/mod2 early next year so will have to budget for a suitable bike as well.

The Denon looks nice but lack of radio isn't ideal.

The X10 also looks nice but don't need to rip my CDs as everything is already ripped.

So think the Marantz is the ideal candidate.

Now question is should I buy the Marantz on its own or go for a bundle with the Zensor 1 speakers as well (have checked and what I thought were Kef speakers are actually Heathkit, must have got rid of the Kefs). Decisions, decisions...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts