Amplifier recommendations?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm a hifi newbie and would like some advice on what to look for in an amplifier. At the moment I have Mordaunt-Short Avant 906i speakers (specs), powered by an old Mordaunt-Short MS-A5000 amp kindly given to me by a friend. I believe it to be a 150Wpc amplifier.

The right channel has just stopped working on that amplifier, and I'm looking to get a new one, but I'm a little uncertain how powerful of an amp I need. I've read in some places that you should aim for twice the speaker's RMS value. Is that true? I'm not sure whether the 120W listed on that spec sheet is the RMS or the peak? Also, 240W seems excessive, since with the 150W amp I never turn the volume past about 1/4. The spec sheet also says 20W-120W. But I've read elsewhere that underpowering the speakers can damage them. What's a safe range for my speakers?

Specific amplifier recommendations would also be appreciated, but I'm more interested in learning the principles of matching an amplifier. I've googled this for a few hours but have come away with no consistent understanding.

My inputs in order of use are a Hitachi HT-6M turntable (so would preferably have an integrated phono stage), computer output through a headfi bithead external USB soundcard (though I've ordered an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 and will be putting the S/PDIF through a separate DAC eventually), a Technics SL-PS7 CD player, and a Marantz ST-48 tuner.

Any advice much appreciated.

A

Anonymous

You'd be fine with 50 watts. The hifi novice oft gets consumed by power, in reality it's actually difficult to find an underpowered amp for most speakers. What's your budget? What music do you listen to?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
As above 50w is uusually more than enough unless youre looking to drive some dificult speakers.

As Ray said; what music are you into?

The NAD C320BEE amp is a very VERY good starter amp and you can partner it with the NAD external phono amp. Both can be bought via eBay and for good £££ as well.

The NAD's a stunning amp with plenty of power and a very good soundstage.

A

Anonymous

Great, thanks for the recommendations. I'll take a look at the NAD amp. Good to know that 50 watts is plenty -- I was getting scared seeing the prices of most 120 watt amps!

Budgetwise I'd prefer to spend around 200 pounds, but could spend more if there's a persuasive reason. I'll also be in the states at Christmas, not sure whether amps are any cheaper there or whether that would just introduce voltage issues.

At the moment I mostly listen to 70s/80s rock/punk/new wave on vinyl. Many records by e.g. Elvis Costello, Bruce Springsteen, Blondie, Bowie, Echo & the Bunnymen, Kate Bush, Talking Heads, The The...

Other stuff I listen to from FLAC -- historically: Beatles, Nine Inch Nails, PJ Harvey, Bob Dylan, Mclusky, Manics, Clash. At the moment I'm into Television, Wire, New York Dolls, Byrne/Eno's stuff, Richard Thompson, Neil Young.

Lately some Miles Davis and Dave Brubeck thrown in. Less frequently classical -- Mendelssohn, Bruch, Mussorgsky, Bach, Mahler, Mozart, Faure, etc.

OK, now you're probably regretting you asked, but I'm a music junkie (I guess we all must be). The short answer is mostly rock :)

A

Anonymous

Hi welcome to the site Dan's suggestion is definitely a good one but if you are open to second hand also, have a search on ebay for the NAD C352 it's a more powerful amp than the NAD C320 BEE and has a great depth and punch to the sound and great clarity. I recently bought one for 195.00 plus p and p so just within your budget

Ideal for rock music!

A

Anonymous

Considering your musical tastes I also agree on the NAD. Although do try to buy it in grey and not that awful silver.

A

Anonymous

Apologies, ignore my advice on this one, the C352 has no phono stage and thus I agree with Dan's recommendation.

A

Anonymous

Hi hi fi newbie, it appears that neither amp has a phono stage (unless I'm missing something) so I think I would need to get a separate phono stage either way?

On that note, what would you recommend? How is the NAD PP-2?

A

Anonymous

Try the Audiolab 8000S reduced from £599 to £299. Represents excellent value for money.

Moorgate Acoustics have some as do Lintone Audio and am sure they proliferate on ebay. As they are new you get a 2 year warranty. Blow the NAD out of the water.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the recommendation, Rev, I'll definitely consider it.

It also lacks a phono stage -- what do you think of the older 8000A that appears to have one?

A

Anonymous

Hi here is another suggestion for you, Rotel have long made high quality amplifiers and since you are after a phono stage also, I believe the Rotel RA-971 satisfies that target and in addition offer great sound quality with plentiful bass, sweet midrange and clarity.

I would look around on ebay for one and also hi fi for sale once the site is back up and running.

A

Anonymous

I ended up getting an Audiolab 8000a. Listening to Talking Heads on vinyl and it's never sounded so good! Thanks to everyone who made recommendations in this thread.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts