Amplifier for Dynaudio Excite x12

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi i'm going to buy a pair of X12 Dynaudio speakers and i am in need of a amplifier for it. I will be using my Hi-Fi setup for streaming music from my computer and iPhone, the rest of the time it will be hooked up to my TV. I am really new to this and my budget is about 250£-350£

All help is really appreciated. :)

A

Anonymous

Uploader here i just wanted to ask if i should go for this offer I have the chance of getting the Marantz 7004 for 375£

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi lommi give a look at this thread, http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=444581

And Art K as another thread about the Rega Brio as well, http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=413819 a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnng thread but a fine reading if you got the time for it...

Audiokarma along side with what hi fi forum are my favorit places to be in the net.

I' m waiting for my Brio they are sold out in the portuguese dealer, and if i decide to go for standmounts, X12 are on the top of my list.

Cheers

Lommi said:
Hi i'm going to buy a pair of X12 Dynaudio speakers and i am in need of a amplifier for it. I will be using my Hi-Fi setup for streaming music from my computer and iPhone, the rest of the time it will be hooked up to my TV. I am really new to this and my budget is about 250£-350£

All help is really appreciated. :)

TBH, if you buy the X12s you won't find a amp at your budget to do the speakers justice. If that is your top whack, I'd suggest Dynaudio 2/6 will be far more accommodating than the X12s IMHO.

To make the most of the X12s you need to be looking at Cyrus 8, Naim Nait 5i, Creek Evo2. Although personally, I'd be looking at Leema Pulse, Roksan Caspian, Naim XS...

When it comes to Dyns your amp needs to be quality over quantity in the power stakes.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Although the Dyns are at 4omhs, i've read quite a bit about them, and i don't think they are that demanding... For the Rega brio that is... 50w per channel should be enough. :roll:

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Although the Dyns are at 4omhs, i've read quite a bit about them, and i don't think they are that demanding... For the Rega brio that is... 50w per channel should be enough. :roll:

And only 86db. True, the Brio-R, at 50 watts, should drive them to decent levels, in the same way the Leema drives the Totems well, but not if you're looking at club levels.

If they were at 6 ohms and 90dbs it would be more comfortable for a 50 watter.

A

Anonymous

I've just listened to Rega Brio R with Dynaudio DM 2/6 and Excite 12. It works very well with the former and it simply doesn't play with the lattter. It simply does not have the power to drive Excite(s). While Rega Brio R is one fine of an amp, it would be a real waste of money to combine it with Excites. They advise Hegel, Densen for Excites, but this will be a different league of amps.

paulsue38

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
I have just bought some x12 in Gloss Black (delivered on Friday) I have a Roksan Kandy 111 and they drive them no problem. Can't drive them loud yet because they take a long period to run in (up to 200 hours) From what I have read they are designed to be an easier load than other Dynaudios. Peope seem very happy with results from Rega Brio R and similar powered amps.

Paul

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
paulsue38 said:
I have just bought some x12 in Gloss Black (delivered on Friday) I have a Roksan Kandy 111 and they drive them no problem. Can't drive them loud yet because they take a long period to run in (up to 200 hours) From what I have read they are designed to be an easier load than other Dynaudios. Peope seem very happy with results from Rega Brio R and similar powered amps.

Paul

look at my sig, i'm very happy with my system!

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Must say I really enjoyed the sound the Leema Pulse put into the Excite's but after I added the Quad 909, I have to say the extra power has noticably put the performance to another level, its like the old saying goes what you don't know wont hurt you.

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
ABM78 said:
Must say I really enjoyed the sound the Leema Pulse put into the Excite's but after I added the Quad 909, I have to say the extra power has noticably put the performance to another level, its like the old saying goes what you don't know wont hurt you.

Good comment ABM78

As long as OP is happy with sound that's what matters. I'm sure a lot of systems (mine included) would benefit from more power, as long as it isn't vastly underpowered that it cannot drive them to a reasonable level.

I wonder how much volume the Excites need to come on song??? Don't Dyns need a bit more cranking than some speakers to come alive?

I remember listening to some Linn keilidh speakers with a Audio Innovations Alto Amp (30w) and you could feel the air being sucked out the room. Did not sound good. Swapped for Nait 3 which was my first into to Naim. I brought the secondhand amp :) wonderful amp, much fond memories (except for the lack of remote!)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts