Amplifier/CD Player match for ELAC speakers

CS93

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
Does anybody have any experience or knowledge on an integrated amplifier/CD Player combo or suggested manufacturers that will match ELAC speakers well. I have struggled to find much advise because these speakers aren't that popular in the UK.

I have the ELAC FS187 floorstanders.

My budget would be about the £2500 price point for both units combined.

I currently own the Marantz pm6005 and cd6005 which I'm now looking to upgrade but want to retain some features; an integrated DAC with a Toslink input is ideal. Although, these were pleasing at first they are still the weak link in my system compared to my speakers, hence wanting to upgrade!

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Ps: I like the look of Roksan and Cyrus; I believe I need a very smooth/neutral amp due to the JET tweeters.

CS93 said:
Does anybody have any experience or knowledge on an integrated amplifier/CD Player combo or suggested manufacturers that will match ELAC speakers well. I have struggled to find much advise because these speakers aren't that popular in the UK.

I currently own the Marantz pm6005 and cd6005 which I'm now looking to upgrade but want to retain some features; an integrated DAC with a Toslink input is ideal. Although, these were pleasing at first they are still the weak link in my system compared to my speakers, hence wanting to upgrade!

Thanks.

Ps: I like the look of Roksan and Cyrus; I believe I need a very smooth/neutral amp due to the JET tweeters.

Not so sure about the Cyrus but the Roksan should suit them just fine. Personally I would suggest you try to audition the Creek Evolution 50A with Ruby DAC module and the matching Creek 50CD player.

CS93

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for your response. I will have to build up a list and hopefully listen to them all to compare. Only thing, it is difficult to decide when the amps aren't in my own system, when trying them at a store.

Have you had any experience with ELAC speakers?

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
the Vincent range of amps, the sound is very neutral and smooth as silk. Everything I throw at mine sounds superb and the ELACS will too. They need controlling and only a serious power supply will do that. I built a pair of speakers many moons ago using ELAC drivers and they were excellent, although not as large as your floorstanders.

In a fashion I was in your position a few months ago, albeit my weak link was the Yamaha AS500 amp. Great amp, great sound, but lacking - all subjective but I would put the 6005 in the same bracket. You won't regret spending that sort of money on your upgrade, the difference is huge at your price point. Good luck in your quest :)

www.vincentshop.co.uk

Edit - hang on to the CDP until your amp upgrade - it will sound completely different!

CS93

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
Thank you.

I have added Vincent to my list to investigate. I think you have nailed exactly my problem, yes the Marantz is good when I started and I went from the What Hifi review but I'm looking for something more. It is a struggle when committing a sizable amount of cash in comparison to what I have now when making a decision. I'm glad to hear that I should notice a sizable improvement!

What are your thoughts on Roksan?

Would you advise using all my budget on an Amp and just keep my current CD player?

Thanks again.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
anything by Roksan but there's plenty on here who have and will advise you. Re the CDP yes I'd keep hold until you hear it with your new setup. I can't tell you how much you should spend but I think around 2K on an amp should put a huge grin on your face, in my opinion you're entering the world of diminishing returns after that.

CS93

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
Thanks again for the advise! I will keep it all in mind. I notice that Vincent offer a home demo service so I might have to try it!

R

rgking94

paulkebab said:
anything by Roksan but there's plenty on here who have and will advise you. Re the CDP yes I'd keep hold until you hear it with your new setup. I can't tell you how much you should spend but I think around 2K on an amp should put a huge grin on your face, in my opinion you're entering the world of diminishing returns after that.

+1 Roksan all the way

CS93

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
rgking94,

Do you recommend Roksan then?

Do you know the sound characteristics of the K3 amplifier and CD player?

I need an amp to match bright ELAC speakers?

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
CS93 said:

Thanks.

I you want something a little different and quite possibly better that the usual recommendations then have a look at the XTC A100 D3 integrated amp, it is a switchable class A or AB amp with plenty of smooth power and delicacy combined, it also has a built in DAC and phono stage.

You can have a 60 day trial in which if you don't get on with ithem you can one or both back.

http://www.xtz.se/product/class-a100-d3

and the matching Cd player the XTZ CD-100/11

http://www.xtz.se/product/cd-100-11

Together thay are well within your budget and I would expect the to match the Elac's very well .

Many of XTZ's own speakers use ribbon tweeters so in theory the rest of their equipment should be well matched to the Elac's.

Electro said:
CS93 said:

Thanks.

I you want something a little different and quite possibly better that the usual recommendations then have a look at the XTC A100 D3 integrated amp, it is a switchable class A or AB amp with plenty of smooth power and delicacy combined, it also has a built in DAC and phono stage.

You can have a 60 day trial in which if you don't get on with ithem you can one or both back.

http://www.xtz.se/product/class-a100-d3

and the matching Cd player the XTZ CD-100/11

http://www.xtz.se/product/cd-100-11

Together thay are well within your budget and I would expect the to match the Elac's very well .

Many of XTZ's own speakers use ribbon tweeters so in theory the rest of their equipment should be well matched to the Elac's.

G

Good call. Always good value for money those XTZ products, think you'd have to buy on faith though.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
As long as you not belive "a more expensive amps will give me a better sound" go for the most beautiful amps out there. Amps are essential for the beautifulness of a hifi rack.

You can combine elacs on very different gears depending on your tastes. Rotel, Densen, Accuphase, Audia... everything is possible.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Al ears said:
Electro said:
Al ears said:
G

Good call. Always good value for money those XTZ products, think you'd have to buy on faith though.

True, but at least you get 60 days to make up your mind whether or not you want to keep them. *smile*

Not bad if you do get that but do you have to pay to ship them back?

I'm not sure, but it can't be much more that the cost of the time and fuel to visit a conventional HiFi dealer, it is a also a far better way to audition HiFi equipment and much more convienient imo.

paulkebab

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
Electro said:
Al ears said:
Electro said:
Al ears said:
G

True, but at least you get 60 days to make up your mind whether or not you want to keep them. *smile*

Not bad if you do get that but do you have to pay to ship them back?

I'm not sure, but it can't be much more that the cost of the time and fuel to visit a conventional HiFi dealer, it is a also a far better way to audition HiFi equipment and much more convienient imo.

My thoughts exactly, Vincent distribute from London and although I would have gone it's a fair way from where I live. Don't forget you can do a straight comparison as you will still have your Marantz.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts