amplification for arcam 73

kusum65

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Hello everyone,i would like some help with an upgrade puzzle. I have recently bought a n arcam 73 after my old Nad popped its cloggs.I was very impressed with the soundstage and speed ,and fed through a marantz 6010 and B&W 601s my music sounds real and exciting.However ,i can get a boomy bass and a harsh treble sometimes which is distracting and annoying after a while.To get the speakers moving you have to turn the volume past the quarter to position so i thought a more powerful amp might be the answer .I auditioned the arcam a80 and found it to relaxed and then the salesman played me a cyrus 6ve which was a toe tapper but still didnt have the excitement.Perhaps it was the MA 8 speakers they didnt have the dynanics ,but i just wasnt convinced.Any suggestions of what i might try would be appreciated.I have a small listening room by the way.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
As with all equipment, the Arcam will smooth out and tighten up after a bit of use, but I don't reckon having to turn the amp up beyond 9 o'clock to 'get the speakers moving' is a bad thing.

Other amps to try? Rotel RA-06, Creek EVO, and the Audiolab 8000A (new model). Or at the upper end, Roksan Kandy l.III.

kusum65

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Andrew, i do remember showing interest at the
EVOs review a while back and something regarding its NAIM like rythmic
drive so i think ill give it a demo. I have recently seen a good deal
for the marantz 7001 ki but i What hi fi never reviewed this model.
Any idea if this has a similar sound? I was interested in the old
7002 but heard it could be a little dull. Thanks again ,
Colin.

TRENDING THREADS