Amp with onboard DAC that takes SPDIF / Airport Express signal

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

This is my first post so I'll first say hello to everyone on the forum :)

I've recently bought a Airport Express for streaming music and I would like to use its digital out. I'm wondering if there are any hi fi amps that can work with this signal or do I need a dedicated DAC?

Thanks,

Andy

John Duncan

Hi Andy.

Not that many stereo amps (Naim's Supernait is the first one that springs to mind), but more and more CD players are coming with them to utilise their onboard DACs. Do you have a budget in mind, and what's the rest of your kit?

A

Anonymous

I dont need a CD player.

All the music will be on my laptop in Apple Lossless / Flac and MP3. That's why I want to use the Airport Express.

I dont know much at all about DAC's but I'm assuming that many of them will be able to take an optical signal?

If I must buy a DAC and Amp separately then that's fine I was just hoping that a combined option existed / maybe cheaper?

At the moment I dont have any other part of the system. I'm also happy to consider second hand equipment.

Thanks,

Andy

A

Anonymous

I should mention that I cannot afford either the Naim Supernait or the Pioneer A9.

I'd say my budget is more around the £600 mark. Hopefully that is enough to get something decent before thinking about speakers.

Thanks,

Andy

John Duncan

Most will take an optical in, yes. If second hand works for you then there may be some bargains to be had in the AV arena, where depreciation is pretty much vertical - you could pick up a s/h yamaha dap-ax620, which sounds pretty good with music, for about 50 quid. Failing that, a DACMagic, Beresford, Fubar or musical fidelity v-dac are good places to start. The world's then your oyster as far as amps go.

Note that some here are pretty impressed with the AE's performance on it's own.

A

Anonymous

I hadn't really considered AV equipment. Thanks for all the tips!

Is it better to use a separate DAC and Amp is it that fewer of these models exist so people tend to use separates?

Thanks,

Andy

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Peachtree Nova?

I'm enjoying my Esoteric RZ-1, is a one box solution, but it would be wasted as you say you don't need CD?

A

Anonymous

There is a lot of amps or pre/power combos like that - i know a lot of them, cause i had the same problem some time ago... needed a good stereo amp with digital in, for my HDI Dune all singing all dancing HD thing.

The good:

Jaton RC200S
http://www.jaton.com/AV/product_detail_ex.php?idx=4

Lyngdorf TDAI 2200
http://www.lyngdorf.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=33

There's also the Harman Kardon's : 3490 and 990 (I had it for over a year) and Cyrus's - but definately the Jaton gets my nod - it's a great sounding piece of gear for silly money.

A

Anonymous

Let looks awesome actually. I'm gonna look around and see if I can get them second hand.

I'm being offered a Arcam A85 (3+ of years old) for £290. Does that sound about right?

Thanks,

Andy

A

Anonymous

You say your budget is £600ish - are you planning to buy speakers on top of that or have you got them already? My advise to you otherwise would be to forget the amp and buy a cheapish DAC (eg Musical Fidelity V-DAC) and put the rest into an active speaker/amp package (Adam A7X, Genelec 8030, or if you want to go the whole way, AVI ADM9.1). You'll get way more sonic ability for your money this way.

T

the record spot

You'll be doing VERY well to get the Genelec 8030As for £600 and then a DAC on top, but they are some of the best speakers you'll get for less than £1500. Fact. Stunning IMO, crystal clear without being harsh, great design, bass that is depth plumbing compared to their dimensions and for all that they are a studio monitor by intent, they'd win many friends in a domestic setting for their sound.

Yeah, I like 'em.

Other than that, I think the Onkyo A5-VL amp has an onboard DAC, £300. The Harman HK990 as aforesaid is a monster bit of kit that's superb sounding too. Superb design to complement it too.

£600 - Emporium Hi Fi have an Audio Note DAC for £375 used - they do a pile of amps too, so it might be worth making them an offer on anything you like for a combined deal. They're on Ebay by the by.

But...my money? The Genelec's with a separate DAC, but your budget's blown by nearly £400 then.

A

Anonymous

No no speakers. I need to buy everything. I've been looking at the AVI ADM9.1 and they look awesome. I'd love to try a pair out. Wish they cost a little less though.

Maybe £600 isn't a realistic budget?

Andy

T

the record spot

You'll need to check the inputs, but see the likes of the Yamaha HS80, good build, nice sound, bassy, but a good active speaker. Contact your local pro-audio dealer (or go via the Yamaha website for hints on where to look). Roughly £350. Then you just need a cable - assuming the spec allows for that - from the AE to the speaker. Then you're done. There's a place in Edinburgh with a pair of ADM9s (NOT the 9.1) for about £700 currently. Secondhand, but likely in decent nick knowing the shop that has them.

A

Anonymous

I feel sold on the idea of skipping the amp and just using a dac and active speaker set up. Ideally I'll save up for the AVI ADM9.1's.

A

Anonymous

Andy,

The Avis are great at their price point and will serve all your needs. But if you do go back to your original idea, the Arcam A85 for £290 is a fair deal, I think (+/- a few quid), and you could get a cheap DAC from Musical Fidelity, Beresford or CA to go with it.

On the other hand, if all you need is a system to play files from the computer the Avis might be better long term.

Hedgehog

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
newtohifijkt:
Nova by Peachtree Audio has the onboard DAC (using ESS Sabre DAC chip) wih 80 wpc. Whats interesting is that Nova has both tube and solid stage pre-amp (switchable by remote if i read the reviews somewhere correctly).

http://www.stereophile.com/thefifthelement/the_fifth_element_55/index1.html

MSRP is USD 1200 in US but not sure how much it will cost in UK.

Good point. I guess there is the peachtree iDecco which I assume is cheaper, if they are even available in the UK.

A

Anonymous

For £600 and with onboard DAC I would get XTZ class A-100 D3 amp... At this spec and price range in UK there nothing to match it... (Please correct me if I'm wrong...)
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts