Amp vs DAC upgrade question

Si Conaugt

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi all

Wasn't quite sure where to post this one but its hi fi sound I'm after so here we go! I want to get the best out of my new squeezebox touch. I already have a Yamaha DSP-AX 763 Home Cinema amp playing through a pair of Monitor Audio RS1s. If I had £200 to £300 to spend, which would benefit my sound more a new stereo amp or a DAC paired with my existing amp? Are there any other possibilities beyond this that I might also consider? All views welcome - many thanks Phil

Si Conaugt

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I've tried connecting the Touch with both though with a very cheap optical and slightly more expensive but still cheap analogue and found both of them disappointing. Too much top end and muddled in the middle. Swapped the analogue interconnects for Chord Crimsons to good effect but still a bit sibilant and now bass seemed poorly defined (or maybe just some of the tracks I was listening to). I had been expecting big things of the Touch DAC and thought that it would be at least equivalent or better than the DAC in my AV amp which does a very good job with my multi-channel SACDs from a Pioneer DV-585A. By the way, what is the effect of multiple DACs in a system? Do stereo amps have DACs and if so, why bother getting a separate DAC?

What sort of amp should I be looking at? I'm aware that I'm probably not getting the best out of the RS1s at the moment but they were cheap, sound better than my last pair, and hopefully, will flourish with upgraded components in the future.

Another silly thought, but why are atmospheric conditions never mentioned in debates about factors influencing sound? Is this because the effect is minimal or simply that its largely uncontrollable for the majority of us. Surely the density of air must make a difference to sound waves travelling through them or do I need to go back to school? Answers to any or all of the above welcome!!

By the way, I am trying to listen to FLACs which I believe should be identical in audio quality to CDs.

T

the record spot

For your money, £300 will get you one of the many decent budget amps out there, as well as some of those £500-ish amps now dropping down ahead of new lines coming in (e.g. NAD's C355, the Audiolab 8000S) and don't discount the possibility of used gear either.

By coincidence, I was having a look at the current secondhand list from Audio Emotion (who are based in Leven in Fife) who have a stellar range of mostly high end stuff, but they did have a couple of amps which might be in your territory. I think AE offer a five year warranty as standard with all of their used gear as well (which is better than any other hifi outlet in the country I think - most offer manufacturer warranty and that's typically 12 or 24 months), which is ideal for peace of mind.

EDIT: Actually, just checked and there isn't (sorry!), but they do have a couple of Creek amps at £495...here's the link for reference in any case.

http://www.audioemotion.co.uk/pre_owned.php

Si Conaugt

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so I took the advice and got a stereo amp. It is a used Rotel RA-05 for £100. I am pleased with the sound. I have also stopped bi-wiring which seems to have improved the sound again. Very smooth, more detail, and the volume seems more equal across the range, if this makes sense - high and low frequencies more equal in the mix. But I want even more detail and perhaps a bit more attack. Would a DAC help with this? Any suggestions for what would match with my system. I'm prepared to spend up to £300.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts