Amp urgrade

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hi guys

im thinking of upgrading my roksan kandy k2 amp.

To a roksan caspian m2 but ive just noticed on sevenoaks website that they have roksan pre & power m caspian brand new for half price which makes it cheaper than the new caspian m2.

would buying the pre/power combo be a worthwile upgrade?

my current set up is

roksan kandy k2 amp

atc scm 11 speakers

cyrus cd6se cd player

chord cables & partington dreadnought speaker stands.

As much as i like the kandy amp i feel the speakers could appreciate a better amp to drive them but ive not the funds to go all out and purchase Atc's own intergrated amp.

regards

80's boy

A

Anonymous

PP

do you meen the kandy k2 power amp? do you think i would notice an improvment in the quality of sound i only ask as i was advised by a hi fi dealer that this would be a waste of money. and i would not notice any improvement.

also don't you think that the speakers & cd player are not capable for the m1 pre/power combo ive never gone down the pre/ power amp route b4 so i need as much help as possible thats why i ask you guys as you know what your talking about.

regards

80's boy

80s boy:
hi guys

im thinking of upgrading my roksan kandy k2 amp.

To a roksan caspian m2 but ive just noticed on sevenoaks website that they have roksan pre & power m caspian brand new for half price which makes it cheaper than the new caspian m2.

would buying the pre/power combo be a worthwile upgrade?

my current set up is

roksan kandy k2 amp

atc scm 11 speakers

cyrus cd6se cd player

chord cables & partington dreadnought speaker stands.

As much as i like the kandy amp i feel the speakers could appreciate a better amp to drive them but ive not the funds to go all out and purchase Atc's own intergrated amp.

regards

80's boy

Hi 80's boy

In addition to the Roksan's, Naim's Nait XS is also worth considering as it also works well SCM11 monitors.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

80s boy:

PP

do you meen the kandy k2 power amp? do you think i would notice an improvment in the quality of sound i only ask as i was advised by a hi fi dealer that this would be a waste of money. and i would not notice any improvement.

also don't you think that the speakers & cd player are not capable for the m1 pre/power combo ive never gone down the pre/ power amp route b4 so i need as much help as possible thats why i ask you guys as you know what your talking about.

regards

80's boy

I'm afraid, no disrespect to the dealers that frequent this forum, it's a load of rubbish. Yes, there will be a noticeable upgrade by adding the Kandy power amp. The power amp essentially will give a purer current resulting in better bass definition and detail. This will only be effective if you bi-amp the K2 and power amp. Sure, the pre/power of the Caspians are better, but for a cost effective upgrade you can't really beat my suggestion.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Big Chris:If it were my money, I'd go for the M1 int/power or M1 pre/power over an M2 int.

I agree.
The Caspian integrated is a step up from The Kandy and the Pre-power another move up. You will then have quality amplification that you can upgrade the rest of your system to over time if you want to.

A

Anonymous

rick

thanks for your input, what do you think of the naim Naim NAC 152 XS and NAP 155 XS as ive seen a good price on these in perfect condition or is the naim xs better? also ive been looking at the primare i30 amp as well. as you deal with atc speakers im looking for the best amp to make my speakers sing all your advice is welocome my budget is £1500.

regards 80's boy

80s boy:
rick

thanks for your input, what do you think of the naim Naim NAC 152 XS and NAP 155 XS as ive seen a good price on these in perfect condition or is the naim xs better? also ive been looking at the primare i30 amp as well. as you deal with atc speakers im looking for the best amp to make my speakers sing all your advice is welocome my budget is £1500.

regards 80's boy

Hi 80's boy

Naim's NAC 152 XS and NAP 155 XS are much better then the already impressive Nait XS. The NAC 152 XS and NAP 155 XS already justify the premium at retail value over the Nait XS so if you've seen them at an attractive price then in relation to the Nait XS i would say they are a no brainer. Primare amplification also works well with ATC passive monitors and i've got quite a number of clients happily using this combination.

ATC's own SIA2-150 MK2 is stunning however if this is above budget then (if you are happy to consider older models) the SIA2-150 MK1 is not too far off the MK2 and you should find one within your price. Alteratively Krell's KAV-400xi and the superb Marantz PM-94 are also worth serious consideration.

I hope this helps.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi 80s boy,

I can't do a comparison of all the amps you mention but can say for certain that Primare and ATC are a great match. We have the same speakers and while I have the Primare pre/power the i30 is obviously similar power and sound. I find the Primare very detailed, neutral and natural, some of the qualities the SCM11 has. I think the i30 retails at about £2000 but you should be able to find one in budget, ex demo seem to come up quite a lot.

A

Anonymous

Thanks ben/rick for your advice,

Rick there is a krell 400xi for sale for £1500 second hand is this a good price and how good is this amp as there's not much info about krell but must say looks really nice but i know looks are not every thing. also as ben said that primare work well with the speakers and again brand new the i30 is £1500 as is the the naim combo as i cannot listen to any of these amps b4 purchase, which would you say is a good choice. (bairing in mind im looking for a smooth detailed sound that can also play quite load without loosing control)

regards 80's boy

A

Anonymous

ive just ordered the Naim's NAC 152 XS and NAP 155 XS should be with me tomorrow.

thanks for all your input guys.

hopefully ive made the right choice.

regards

80's boy

Hi 80's boy

Your welcome.

All the amplifers are very capable. The Krell, Naim and Primare are also at good prices. From this trio i would say the Naim has the smoothest presentation whilst the Krell will play the loudest with the Primare in between.

Fwiw i would look out for ATC SIA2-150 MK1 or the Marantz PM-94.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi 80's boy

Our posts got crossed. I am sorry for this.

I wish you well with your new Naim amplifiers and i hope you'll enjoy their performance for many years to come.

Btw, i would be intersted to read your thoughts on them.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts