Amp upgrade

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone new on here . I wanted some info on upgrading my amp at the moment I have a marantz p6005 +6005 CD player, speakers are Dali sensor 3s which I think are very good speakers indeed and happy with . Do not get me wrong the marantz gear is good and I do like it ....... But I still think I could do better in quality now the good points I have with the marantz stuff is a nice open sound stage which I think is mostly down to the Dalis the detail is good but I do need a bit more quality on that side of things as I can hear it lacks on symbols crash . I am not a fan of to much bass and do like my music to sound natural with natural bass you get with a drum kits . I kind of want to hear as much as I can from the music as I mostly listen to CDs and my music taste is very wide but a big part I would say is classic rock , metal then the other end of the scale classical music I know strange but that's me. I have a big living room and in the past I have had top end gear like arcam so kind of know what arcam sounds like if anyone recommends arcam do not get me wrong they do make some top gear but kind of think it's a bit laid back on sound anyway my budget will be around £1000 or under I have been looking around the net at reviews on different amps but the main 2 that sounds ok are rocksan k2 I think it is and rega now the amps that I am after has to keep up with fast music like thrash from the 1990s black sabbath , ozzy and then to something like dire straits so detail , speed ,sound stage ,head room and good lows as well as highs ... Can it be done on my budget ? So I would still be running the CD player that I have an till I can afford to change it but want to keep the Dalis as I like them . If I would only gain very little in chainging what I have I will stick with it .i have not been anywhere as of yet for a demo as I do not want to be talked into buying what the sales man thinks is best as I made them mistakes years ago .so I would be grateful if anyone could point out to me what would be right for my music tastes please . Thanks

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Yes been there in the past mate spend ££££ in the past so I know what it's like you can easy get carried away and yes your ears are the best tools for the job but have to be quite wise in what I get this time . I did hear or read somewhere that old school amps are better for rock and metal but do not know if there is any truth in that naim was 1 of them .

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Abrahamsen V2.0 UP, or if you want to stick to Marantz the PM8005. For rock and metal I also always somehow was drawn to silver Yamahas.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Well the marantz I have is not to bad but at the time I brought it I really wanted the marantz p- lite I think that's what it's called but missed out now as they have stopped making it unless a secondhand one come up on eBay but all so think the 8005 is the same model but with out the copper in sides

If you don't mind going s/h.The very amp that I own is great with classic rock and anything else you care to throw at it.The naim nait xs gives that speed and musicality that your after.Although only your ears can decide,which makes a blind buy a bit of a gamble. Also the nait si is around your budget new and should be on your audition list.I also like a bit of rock,metal and know what you mean about the cymbals and drums.my previous Arcam,b&w set up struggled with this.The Naim and pmc's take it all in their stride. Be aware though that the back end of the system is only as good as the front end,so buying a grand's worth of amp is probably going to lead you down an expensive upgrade journey.I'm in the middle of one just now lol.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The founder of Electrocompaniet Per Abrahamsen sold the company and later created a new one under his name. You would be buying Electrocompaniet tech with the founders pedigree and Matti Otala circuit design DNA. But enough spoilers, do your own research.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Been looking the abrahamsen amps up they look good but as I am from the uk I would have 1 imported to the uk as they are Norwegian made and not sure if any hi fi dealers stock them so I can a demo on one which is a shame

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
But vlad and others have beat me to it as i was going to recomend either abrahamsen or marintz 8005. Both are quality and have good power supply. If you look under the hood youll see they are very well built.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Just been looking them up there's one on eBay for e 1.888 what that is in pounds I do not know its the p I 2 d model but looks nice but a risk getting one without hearing first and also been to there site some good looking quality gear

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Just been looking them up there's one on eBay for  e 1.888  what that is in pounds I do not know its the p I 2 d model but looks nice but a risk getting one without hearing first and also been to there site some good looking quality gear

Abrahamsen 2.0 ugraded version for £899 in uk.
This amp is designed by the original designer of the electrocompanient amps

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Yes at least with the marantz 8005 I can get a demo and they are pretty much bulletproof but if you go by what hi fi say about it they say it lacks some detail but you really have to listen and make your own mind up

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Just been looking them up there's one on eBay for  e 1.888  what that is in pounds I do not know its the p I 2 d model but looks nice but a risk getting one without hearing first and also been to there site some good looking quality gear

Abrahamsen 2.0 ugraded version for £899 in uk. This amp is designed by the original designer of the electrocompanient amps

Latest appears to cost £748 plus shipping.

I call it a bargin, the best i ever had

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for info it's in my budget then for £899 and yes the one I see on eBay was new as well . But I just can not buy an amp blind without hearing first it's just to much of a risk but there are dealers in the uk as if you go to the Electrocompaniet you put your country in and it will come up with all the dealers in the uk if that helps anyone

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Vladimir said:
IQ Speakers carries them. A member here who builds speakers from kit became a UK dealer after we moaned for months how we can't get Abrahamsen to audition before buying. 

He also gets a lot of unfair slack from certains when people want advise about them.

Mark Rose-Smith said:
Yep.hearing lots of good things about Abrahamsen,it's just a pity it's so hard to find a dealer up here in Scotland,if there is one at all.would love a wee listen.

As far as I am aware there are no dealers.

If you want one you have to order from their web store and you have 14 days to decide if you like it or not. Shipping back to Norway is going to cost some though.

That's the chance you take.

By all accounts they don't get many sent back. :)

However I didn't like their recommended service interval (of 208 days if you leave it on all the time). That, I guess is just a recommendation, but I don't think many will be shipping it back to Norway every year :)

EDIT: I stand corrected. There is one UK dealer based in Cheltenham. The prices I have mentioned in other posts is the cost of importing direct from Norway minus the shipping fees (IPL want £899 for the V2. UP). I am not aware as to whether he is capable of servicing said amplifiers though.

Apologies for any confusion.

Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Just been looking them up there's one on eBay for e 1.888 what that is in pounds I do not know its the p I 2 d model but looks nice but a risk getting one without hearing first and also been to there site some good looking quality gear

Abrahamsen 2.0 ugraded version for £899 in uk. This amp is designed by the original designer of the electrocompanient amps

EDIT:- This is for a self-import from Norway (the UK dealer has them advertised at £899)

Andrewjvt said:
Al ears said:
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

I call it a bargin, the best i ever had

Too many worries regards servicing for my liking as I am unsure whether or not the sole UK dealer can perform this function.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Cheers guys, yes if I dare say we offer UK support. Abrahamsen supply parts. I would be happy to ship you one up for you to try if you can get in touch with me via website. Burnsie is in Scotland also i know its a big place but might be near.

Ill hunt down the magnetic spelling, cheers.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
hi thanks just trying to narrow it down to 2 or 3 amps for a demo as what ever amp i get will have to get the most out of my dali 3s i have as i do not want to change them . i was going to look at the marantz 8005 , roksan k2 , rega elex- r , arcam a29 - a32 fmjs but had arcam in the past and trying to buy something diffreant if possable

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts