Amp upgrade possibly the worst time

nuzikdude

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Hi fellas, sorry i am new here but have been on some other forums.

Now i am going through that time of the year (decade) when you just have to upgrade and change.

Ive started decorating my living room again and sold ALL of my AV equipment bar my stereo amp which i dont seem to be able to get rid of. But anwyays thats another story.

I've decided to by the Kef 3005.se with the new sub which i beleive is supposed to give a better field of depth and have better timing.

And i need a home cinema amp to go with it. This is where it begins to get a little tricky. I have a budget of £1000 ( i know i could have spent more on speakers, but they are definitely the best looking style package you can get and i got them for a steal too)

So my thoughts on the amps are this

yamaha RXV3900, Sony STr 5400, Pioneer LX72

those were my initial thoughts as i thought they were all great amps and all come in about a grand now.

Then i started to read up on 3d and its something i want to do going forward and none of these are 1.4 compliant.

So im stuck do i go for something a little less maybe a denon Avr 2311 or the new pioneers or do i wait for the new yamahas to come out?

MY issue is that i run a ps3 and sky and those will be my only sources of 3d outputs so in theory (correct me if i am wrong) but all the above should cope with the 3d signal as they only run on 1.3?

Thanks and i appreciate your feedback and comments

BlackSpy

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
To the best of my knowledge you only need a 3D amp so it can pass through the signal - it's not doing anything.

Get one of the amps you call out and just hook your source straight to the 3D display, when you get it.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I'd base the amp decision on what sounds best for what you can afford, either with the 1.4 switch in the amp, or factoring in the cost of a separate switch.

I demod the KEF 3005SE a cuple of years ago and if you want to use them for music they weren't that great, (but the new sub may help with this), but for films fine.

Are you planning to change your TV to a 3D TV in the near future? If yes, you may be better off buying a 3D compliant amp.

Although I must say that the Yamaha RX-V3900, Pioneer LX72 & Sony STR 5400 are a bit of an overkill for the KEFs. If you're not planning to upgrade your speakers to better sounding ones, you may be better off saving some serious cash here....& maybe go for a blu-ray player, or investing in a future 3D TV.

If you've got the budget, you could look at some more style speakers like Monitor Audio Apex, Monitor Audio Radius HD, Tannoy Arena, B&W MT 25/30 which are far superior in performance. To me, they're very stylish, obviously it's a personal taste of what you find stylish.

Definitely audition all your options before making a purchase.

Monitor Audio Apex:

MAApex.jpg

Monitor Audio Radius HD

109728.jpg

Tannoy Arena

49.jpg

Anthony Gallo Adiva:

anthony-gallo-adiva.jpg

B&W MT-30:

MT30-550.jpg

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Yes, I'd agree. You'd probably get better sound with better speakers even if you have to lower your amp price a bit.

KEF 5005 are also worth considering, but had similar issues to the 3005SE with the sub when I heard them.

The Arena line has been discontinued but there may be some real bargains if you can find them, (but don't forget to factor in stands if you need them). Depending on your budget don't forget the Highline versions either.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts