Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
My setup since 2002 has been
Wharfedale Diamon 8.2 speakers on Mission stance stands with Gale 189 cable
Project Debut II Turntable
Sony TAFE530R Amp

I love my HiFi but have always longed for a set of Quad 11L's

I finally got a pair of the L2 version for £130

Upon returning home after a 5 hour rount trip i wired them up and put Ben Howards Every Kingdon on my turntable..... and then my heart sank through the floor!

All the oomph and bass depth had vanished! Also i had to turn the volume up to about 10 o' clock instead of the normal 8 o'clock position when i used the Diamond 8.2's.

Is my amp just too wimpy to drive the Quad's or am i just expecting too much bass from smaller cabinets?

If a new amp is the answer i'm looking at either an Arcam A75 or Marantz PM6010se

Any advice or recomendations very welcome

Thanks,

Ben

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
My experience of owning the QUAD 11L2 is they certainly don't lack either oomph or bass extension. It is certainly true that they sound their best on the end of an amp with plenty of power and grip - mine are bi-amped using four channels of my Sony 2400ES AV amp, which certainly does the trick - but I am surprised by your experience, especially given your own Sony amp had no problems driving your previous speakers. I would double check everything before plunging in to buying a new amp: are you biwiring the speakers and if not are the two sets of terminals properly connected? Things like that.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
See if you can test them with another amp - to make sure they're not blown.

Take them into your local dealer get them evaluated. (an opportunity to test them with quads New amp)

although you have to turn your amp up are they clear or still poor sounding?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts