Amp to match CD63KI

Torres09

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Just struck a deal for a Marantz CD63KI Signature going to pick it up on friday.....so any recommendations on what amp would be a good match...

Cheers

Torres09

Torres09

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
WOW thanks for the swift reply Andrew, i guess thats an E-Bay job then? Andrew any other suggestions, i think i'm going to find it difficult to get a PM66KI as i find a lot of traders wont ship to Dublin, Ireland
emotion-6.gif

A

Anonymous

there are most prob loads ... these are the combinations that I have heard and that work best (for me)

Pioneer A400 + Mission 753 (not the freedom model) speakers and a good OFC copper speaker cable

Pioneer SA-9800 plus the mission 753 speakers or Quad 11 speakers

Pioneer SA-9800 amp plus B&W DM2 speakers (what I am currently using)

Pioneer A300R Precision (as modded by Tom Evans) plus either the mission speakers or B&W speakers as mentioned above ... the A300R precision is loads better than the standard A400 but difficult to find

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Agreed on the A400, but the PM66KI is the one to go for. I remember going with Ken to the factory in Wales where they were built, a long time ago after a Bristol show, and being very impressed with the care that was taken in handbuilding the things...

A

Anonymous

congrats torres , im heading back down to our friend in munstersounds next week , not sure whether to get a centre speaker or a cd player , ill have about e250 to spend , choices eh ...

A

Anonymous

have read a few forums where people with valve amps favour the K1 sig cdp, but have never heard a valve amp connected to one

Torres09

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:congrats torres , im heading back down to our friend in munstersounds next week , not sure whether to get a centre speaker or a cd player , ill have about e250 to spend , choices eh ...

Max, i got it for ?100 whoohooo
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

ive just been seduced by some reviews ive read on it , "better than some £1000 plus cd players"

"natural , musical , wide soundstage etc"

and it gets immediate praise here from those who would know , im usually more of a fan of the latest gear , but on this occassion , i want one
emotion-4.gif

was it on adverts ??

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I still have one, and it's still an excellent player. Sits in our dining room system along with some Marantz MusicLine amplification, a Revo Blik Radio Station used as a wireless streamer and a pair of Japanese-market metal-shell Sony designer speakers, and apart from an occasionally shrieky loader, it works superbly.

Torres09

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Well it kinda was, it was sold last month but i know who bought it and he was only using it as a temporary CDP so took him up on his offer when he was selling up

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=194322&cat=147

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Entirely natural, powerful, controlled bass, bags of top-end ambience and air, and a real walk-in soundstage. If you've heard any of the more recent KI-tuned or -designed Marantz equipment, right up to the current KI-Pearl models, the sonic characteristics are unmistakable.

Torres09

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:I still have one, and it's still an excellent player. Sits in our dining room system along with some Marantz MusicLine amplification, a Revo Blik Radio Station used as a wireless streamer and a pair of Japanese-market metal-shell Sony designer speakers, and apart from an occasionally shrieky loader, it works superbly.

Andrew i'm thinking of using this combo with a pair of Tannoy 603's, which were highly regarded as HiFi speakers by WHF in it's day ( That's why i bought them)

These are 20 years old, but to me they still sound fantastic do you think they will suffice in this system or should i upgrade?

( Thanks for fixing the clicky- i assume it was you
emotion-21.gif
)

A

Anonymous

Torres09:
Well it kinda was, it was sold last month but i know who bought it and he was only using it as a temporary CDP so took him up on his offer when he was selling up

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=194322&cat=147thats the wrong link but never mind , im glad to hear you got a great deal , after reading this thread ive decided a cd player is next on my hitlist , ill get checking right away
emotion-11.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Torres09:Andrew i'm thinking of using this combo with a pair of Tannoy 603's, which were highly regarded as HiFi speakers by WHF in it's day ( That's why i bought them)
These are 20 years old, but to me they still sound fantastic do you think they will suffice in this system or should i upgrade?

( Thanks for fixing the clicky- i assume it was you
emotion-21.gif
)

Yes, I think that system will work very nicely together. And no probs on the clicky.

Torres09

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:Torres09:

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=194322&cat=147thats the wrong link but never mind , im glad to hear you got a great deal , after reading this thread ive decided a cd player is next on my hitlist , ill get checking right away
emotion-11.gif

Max, that's how i missed out first time round, the ad is for Castle speakers but further down he linked in the Marantz and i overlooked it first time round....

Anybody know why my links don't work? Using Firefox........

A

Anonymous

andrew , in your opinion , would a new marantz cdp , costing £200ish , have similar characteristics and performance to the one torres and yourself have ? or would i need to spend more to get that kind of sound if buying new ? and would a new cdp pair better with my ma br5s ? or would an older model like the 63ki be just as good a match ? ta..

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
You need to highlight text, click the link button and then paste in the link. But no probs - coming soon(ish) is new site software able, I'm told, to autoconvert URLs into links

malthus80

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
I have owned one for 12 years. Has never skipped a beat. I used one with an 8000 lx for about 10 years and from memory it wiped the floor with the pm66 ki. Now used with a naim nait 5 and it stills sounds superb. So much so i havent bothered with the naim player.

Torres09

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Roll on friday this sounds like the best ?100 i ever spent
emotion-2.gif

I've read so many great reviews on this player and always wanted one........cant wait to get it

And if Andrew has one, well enough said................

TRENDING THREADS