Amp to go with Rega EL8 speakers

grahamcaustin

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I have just aquired some Rega EL8 speakers and I am lookign for an amp that will sound really great with them.

My budget is £150 - so im ideally looking second hand but i'm very new to all this and there so many amps that seemingly sound different

I have a fairly broad music taste but I do quite like a clean sound with good midtones.

Hopefully you guys can help?

Thanks

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
An original Rega Brio (so-called 'clam shell' case) would work well if you can find a nice one.

I used one for 11 years with a pair of KEF Q35.2 floorstanders and they sounded great together.

The last good one I saw offered on ebay was £169.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I would have thought an original Rega Brio or Brio-3 would be an excellent match. The Brio3 is a lot of amp for £150.

Then there is plenty of period stuff from Exposure, Creek

I used the Brio-3 with some R1s to good effect, also had a Primare A20 and R3s too, the A20 is a cracking buy that tend to go for around £150 as well.

grahamcaustin

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
I am having trouble finding the rega brio amps, are they quite rare? or do people just stick with them?

are the Creek CAS4040 amps any good? they seem to be right in my price range, also the Naim nait 3 seems to get some good reviews

Thanks for your feedback guys,

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
grahamcaustin said:
I am having trouble finding the rega brio amps, are they quite rare? or do people just stick with them?

are the Creek CAS4040 amps any good? they seem to be right in my price range, also the Naim nait 3 seems to get some good reviews

Both I guess! They are quite old now, but Rega will still service/repair them

I would go for a Brio 3 or better still a Brio R, however the Brio R is still in production and used prices are at least £300

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
grahamcaustin said:

Believe the Creek CAS4040 amp is about 30 years old now, seen them go for around £60, think you would be better off getting something a bit more recent maybe Arcam, you should be able to find Arcam 9s for around £150-£200. Whereabouts do you live?

grahamcaustin

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
I have a few amps that are coming up in my price range and just wanted to know what the concesus is on which one I should go for.

Rega Brio

Audiolab 8000

Arcam alpha 9

Marantz PM8200

rotel RA-04SE

Any other suggestions? (i really want to get these speakers hooked up!)

thanks again everyone

shakey102001

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
I also own 2 Rega EL8 Speakers and have them hooked up on a Rega Luna (clamshell)

I am blown away with the quality of the sound. So if u can find a Rega Luna i would go for it!!

shakey102001

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
I also own 2 Rega EL8 Speakers and have them hooked up on a Rega Luna (clamshell)

I am blown away with the quality of the sound. So if u can find a Rega Luna i would go for it!!

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
grahamcaustin said:

I have the Rega Brio 2000 (had it from new). I will replace it over the next year or so, but it is a keeper. It will either form the basis of a second system or go to a family member. Maybe that's why you can't locate any - people seem to keep them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts