Amp suggestion & Pre/DAC for Majik 109

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi folks,

this is my first post in this forum, after being a reader for some months. I'd like to say thanks in advance to all you contributors that helped me in making my decisions to setup a new HIFI system for my living room. Now for my first question:

After days of listening to various speakers I decided to order a pair of Linn Majik 109 speakers for my small living room. My music resides mainly on a NAS (MP3, AAC, FLAC, WAV) which will currently be streamed from my TV (will buy a Sonos ZP90 later this year) via optical out. Now I'm in the market for an appropriate amplifier, pre-amp, maybe DAC solution which matches my new Linns (which will arrive next week).

My budget is currently limited at 600-700EUR (500-600GBP). My Linn Dealer offered me to buy a used Kolektor PreAmp and a Linn LK85 PowerAmp. However I'm unsure if buying a PreAmp is really necessary for me as it offers many inputs (which I won't need) and has no digital in. I see various options:

1. New Integrated Stereo amp (which???) + New separate DAC (i.e. Cambridge Dac Magic)

2. Used Linn LK85 + New DAC w/ integr. PreAmp (i.e. NuForce Icon HDCP)

3. Used Linn LK85 + Used Linn Kolektor (would connect my analogue TV out to the Kolektor then)

4. Other suggestions

I'm completely unsure if I really need a PreAmp, as my primary audio source will be some digital outs from my TV (Sonos later this year). Wouldn't it be better to spend the money for a decent DAC connected directly to a PowerAmp (like the used Linn)?

Thanks for any advice on that.

Regards

Udo

A

Anonymous

Any thoughts?
smiley-embarassed.gif

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I think the best option would be to get an integrated amp with a built in DAC. something like Peachtree Audio Nova or (cheapper) Decco2. if you could get those used it would be even better. and particullary Nova is worth consideration having 80Wpc power amp on board.

other than that your option 2 seems worthwile, depending on how good the price for a used Linn power amp would be.

IMO buying pre/power combo and then a separate DAC is a waste of money and shelf space in your situation.

good luck!

A

Anonymous

Great choice of speaker. You could always register at linn forums & ask the same question there. http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your suggestions. Finally I decided to buy both the Kolektor and the LK85 amp, as the sound out of that combination somehow appealed to me (very smooth and with a kind of analog touch) and my Linn dealer made an offer that I could not resist.

Built my new setup over the weekend and the audible result of the combination with the Majik speakers is really stunning. Now I'll start looking for a decent DAC. Any suggestions what DAC to start with? After the initial invest, my budget is currently limited to 200€.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
hasselholz said:
Any suggestions what DAC to start with? After the initial invest, my budget is currently limited to 200€.

at this money Musical Fidelity V-DAC or Beresford Caiman (slightly above the limit) or chineese ebay...

those are the only option that come to mind now...

A

Anonymous

oldric_naubhoff said:
... or chineese ebay...

Any suggestions for Chinese DACs? I've seen so many on Ebay. As my amp/speaker combination has very warm sound, my guess is to get a DAC that does not "color" in any way, but instead is very neutral sounding.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts