Amp + Speaker set up

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello!

Im pretty new to the high end hi-fi market so am looking for a bit of advice...even though the question has probably been asked a thousand times!! (I have done some searches.. :D )

Looking for an Amp with FM (ideally DAB) receiver and some speakers. Have a budget of about £800-£1000.

I have been doing some reading and think two floor standing speakers would be best as they apparently deliver more bass and i have the space to accommodate them - although my room isn't massive. But I am open to surround systems or bookshelf speakers.

Looking through the site and talking with some other people I've been thinking about:

Speakers:

EB1 or 2s (seem to be rated very highly on here)

Monitor Bronze BX5/Silver RX1

Q Acoustics 2050

Dynaudio DM2/6

Mordaunt Short Aviano 6

Acoustic Energy Aelite 3

KEF IQ5SE

Amps:

Denon DRA700AE DAB receiver

I usually play dance/house/rock/RnB style music, and tend to like it pretty loud. The amp would need a few plug-ins for ipod, laptop, CD player etc...

I know its a pretty general question, it's just hard to find the time to visit the shops and listen. I'm also trying to make the most informed choice!

Any input would be greatly appreciated! :)

Dave

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
if its for purely listening to music i think you would be better off matching a stereo amp with a pair of speakers, not a home cinema receiver. unfortunately tho you would need a seperate dab tuner if you go down this route

T

the record spot

At this price, active speakers would be worth shortlisting as well - there are a number at this price that will do a better job than you'd give credit for and likely outperform the gear you'll buy going down the separates route.

My personal favourites are the Genelec 8030A which are about £800-£850 a pair, or the 8040A which are around £1100 - you have a variety of options therafter in how you access a pre-amp or radio source (BBC on the web, internet radio, both of which will easily trump DAB in the UK, which is a dog's breakfast IMO).

Other active alternatives for the money you're looking at include models by Yamaha (the HS80), the AVI ADM9.1, see also models by Mackie or KRK. I found the Genelecs superb for their voicing - as good for a domestic setting as in the studio. Other active speakers might be a little too neutral for your liking (I found the Adams ones I heard too sharp).

A

Anonymous

Sorry to bump this thread up again...

Thank you for the input guys. I have decided to go down the straight hi-fi route of two speakers and an amp.

I have been to two stores (going back for a full demo tomorrow) and wanted some input on what they suggested please?

Store 1: Cambridge Azur 650a amp with either Aviano or Mezzo 6's

Sore 2: Rotel RA06SE amp with Monitor Audio RX2 speakers (if I really wanted floorstanders recommended BX5's)

Anyone have any thoughts on these? My room is about 5 x 3 meters and I like music pretty loud.

Thank you!

T

the record spot

The Cambridge amp has won a fair few plaudits - the design appears to be a significant step-up from the predecessor. Not sure about the Mezzos or the Avianos, but watch out that neither are too bright which could lead to an excess in the higher end frequencies.

The Rotel is a fine amp and good things are written of the RX2s, so in both cases, it'll be a suck it and see kind of thing. They're all very decent for the money however.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts