Amp recommendationsBudget

TPS3000

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
I have an audiolab 8000a at the moment and I'm think I got of an upgrade. The living room is 4m x 6.5m and its partnered with an audiolab 8200cd, mission 753 (not freedom) and a Project RPM4 with Ortofon Blue. The siting is pretty good with the speakers facing down the room and plenty of free space around them. It can sound a bit ragged when cranked up though.

Budget is limited to £500 so probably looking second hand. It's got to cope with hip hop, electronica, math rock, and everything else inc... DIY type lo-fi rock / punk

What do you reckon?

gasolin

TPS3000 said:
I have an audiolab 8000a at the moment and I'm think I got of an upgrade. The living room is 4m x 6.5m and its partnered with an audiolab 8200cd, mission 753 (not freedom) and a Project RPM4 with Ortofon Blue. The siting is pretty good with the speakers facing down the room and plenty of free space around them. It can sound a bit ragged when cranked up though.

Budget is limited to £500 so probably looking second hand. It's got to cope with hip hop, electronica, math rock, and everything else inc... DIY type lo-fi rock / punk

What do you reckon?

Do you miss anything from your amp and what?

Mabye a slightly used Marantz PM8005 or mabye if yor lucky a new one

At something like this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MUSICAL-FIDELITY-M3i-INTEGRATED-AMPLIFIER-BOXED-/181949456001?hash=item2a5d085e81:g:QqEAAOSwAKxWX08K

gasolin said:
TPS3000 said:

What do you reckon?

Good point. I'm not sure whether £500 will get him a serious upgrade or a sideways move.

TPS3000

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
All good points.

what do I miss or want from the amp? Back in the old days I had a mk1 caspian pre, power and cd with pt2/Tabriz, it rocked like the 8000a doesn't. I'm actually pretty happy with cd playback but it runs out of steam with vinyl(the phono stage is significantly quieter than line input). Perhaps a phono stage or 8000p would do the job. I want to steer clear of a sideways, it's a likely outcome with my budget I want to avoid.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
How loud do you play your amp?....... I bet its too loud.

if the 753 are anything like my 782se's they're are not 'loud' sounding speakers if controlled. Look at used Yamaha amps they work well with Mission speakers from that era the 7xx series.

gasolin

plastic penguin said:
gasolin said:
TPS3000 said:

What do you reckon?

Good point. I'm not sure whether £500 will get him a serious upgrade or a sideways move.

Audiolab 8000A is 25 years old and marantz is a good brand it will be an upgrade not power upgrade, but sound upgrade

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts