Amp & Processor v Av Receiver

maccalennon

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I cant make up my mind which way to go on this and could really do with some inout/help from you guys.

Firstly I should say that I listen to more music than I watch movies so good musicality is most important I guess.

For this reason when I have previously gone down the amp & processor route but its time to replace as my processor is now a bit tired - its 10 years old

My current set up

Sonos system - music streaming

Amp is a Rotel RA-03

Processor is a Yamaha DSP-E800

Speakers are the Monitor Audio Gold 5.1 package

I would be looking to spend up to £1500 on either a new AV Receiver or a new amp/processor combo.

Most of the reviews I have read seem to indicate that the AV Receivers in this price range are excellent for movies but lack a bit on the music side and seeing that music is my priority maybe this isnt the right thing for me.

Apologies for posting this in both the hi fi and home cinema forums but i guess this one is a bit of both

Any help or guidance you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
AV receivers are improving, and they're at a stabndard now which is noticably better than they were a few years ago. There's still a difference, but I think that gap is narrowing, and many people would be more than happy with a good quality AV receiver at the heart of a hi-fi system nowadays.

If you like the Rotel sound and want to change to a one box solution, I'd highly recommend the Pioneer SCLX73 or SCLX83. With their detailed, more forward digital amplification, they're the nearest thing I've heard to the Rotels. It would be worth comparing one to your RA03 to see if you feel similarly, otherwise you could get the SCLX73 and keep your RA03 for 2 channel duties.

Having said that, I think your Gold speakers could do with something a little more gutsy than even the Rotel - the Rotels have a fair amount of current for a budget amplifier, but the Golds will only sound as good as the amplifier they're paired with - I think yours are underperforming at the moment.

The Arcam AVR400 will be an excellent alternative to the Pioneer. Arcam are always well known for the quality of amplification in their AV receivers, so if any one box will get the job done properly, it'll be the Arcam.

Alternatively, you could look at an entry level AV receiver which has pre-outs (£500/600) so you could effectively use it in the same way as your E800, and concentrate on a 2 channel amplifier to get the most from your Golds (which ones are they?).

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I think he may be commenting on the fact you cross-posted the topic, which you acknowledged right at the beginning. I was going to merge the two versions, but since you have replies on each, chose not to...

maccalennon

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:AV receivers are improving, and they're at a stabndard now which is noticably better than they were a few years ago. There's still a difference, but I think that gap is narrowing, and many people would be more than happy with a good quality AV receiver at the heart of a hi-fi system nowadays.If you like the Rotel sound and want to change to a one box solution, I'd highly recommend the Pioneer SCLX73 or SCLX83. With their detailed, more forward digital amplification, they're the nearest thing I've heard to the Rotels. It would be worth comparing one to your RA03 to see if you feel similarly, otherwise you could get the SCLX73 and keep your RA03 for 2 channel duties.Having said that, I think your Gold speakers could do with something a little more gutsy than even the Rotel - the Rotels have a fair amount of current for a budget amplifier, but the Golds will only sound as good as the amplifier they're paired with - I think yours are underperforming at the moment.The Arcam AVR400 will be an excellent alternative to the Pioneer. Arcam are always well known for the quality of amplification in their AV receivers, so if any one box will get the job done properly, it'll be the Arcam. Alternatively, you could look at an entry level AV receiver which has pre-outs (£500/600) so you could effectively use it in the same way as your E800, and concentrate on a 2 channel amplifier to get the most from your Golds (which ones are they?).

Thanks very much for your input. i had looked at the pioneer as a possibility so Im quite comforted in my judgement by you suggesting the same.

Totally agree about the Gold (theyre the 60s btw). I knew they were probably a bit too serious kit for the rest of my system but I got them for an absolute bargain and couldnt resist thanks to a branch of Sevenoaks closing down.

I was certainly now have a look at the Acram AVR400 but if I was to go for the Av with Pre outs, any suggestions for a stereo amp that would in tandem with this get the best out of my speakers.

Thanks very much

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts