Amp & Processor v AV Receiver

maccalennon

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I cant make up my mind which way to go on this and could really do with some inout/help from you guys.

Firstly I should say that I listen to more music than I watch movies so good musicality is most important I guess.

For this reason when I have previously gone down the amp & processor route but its time to replace as my processor is now a bit tired - its 10 years old

My current set up

Sonos system - music streaming

Amp is a Rotel RA-03

Processor is a Yamaha DSP-E800

Speakers are the Monitor Audio Gold 5.1 package

I would be looking to spend up to £1500 on either a new AV Receiver or a new amp/processor combo.

Most of the reviews I have read seem to indicate that the AV Receivers in this price range are excellent for movies but lack a bit on the music side and seeing that music is my priority maybe this isnt the right thing for me.

I am also looking for a great Blu-ray player that would be suitable for this set up.

Any help or guidance you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
What about a £700 A/V receiver and a £800 stereo amp? If music is more important, you should bias your budget in favour of the stereo amp. Of course, you could add a power amp (or two) to your existing Rotel.

You can link them together so the stereo amp does the front stereo pair (turn off the A/V amp when listening to music), and it'll also run movies in tandem with the A/V receiver.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
If your priority is music, and you're happy to stick with a 5.1-channel system - ie you don't want to move up to 7.1 - I'd suggest keeping your current processor and considering a more susbtantial upgrade of the stereo amplifier.

You don't say what your source components for music and movies are - well, beyond the Sonos system - but as Big Chris says, I'd go for a better stereo amp and plug the stereo sources directly into that, and keep the Yamaha processor purely for movies.

If you don't already have one, buying a Blu-ray player with onboard processing for HD soundtracks and multichannel analogue outputs would enable you to run even the latest movie audio through the Yamaha with no problems.

maccalennon

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks chris and Andrew for your input.

I quite like that idea chris of a lower end receiver and a better stereo amp and recommendations for either or both greatly appreciated.

@Andrew Yes im happy to stick with 5.1 but i want to lose the processor as its old now.

As for sources I didnt mention the DVD player (Denon) as its knackered and is going regardless, so yes time for blu-ray.

As far as the music goes, i rarely play CD's anymore, everything is ripped onto the sonos as FLAC lossless files. The only time i ever play CD's is when i get something new and havent ripped it yet.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
maccalennon:@Andrew Yes im happy to stick with 5.1 but i want to lose the processor as its old now.

Fair enough, but it was a very good processor, and used with the multichannel analogue inputs really isn't going to be doing anything much other than routing the rear channels to its internal amps, and the front left and right to your chosen stereo amp, so there's no worry about it being outdated.

If It's still working correctly, I'd expect it to hold up pretty well, at least in sonic terms, against a modern lower-end receiver, though it will lack the video processing, etc..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts