Amp, Pre-Amp, Power Amp - what is the difference?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Amplifier usually means an integrated amplifier, with switching for a number of inputs, volume (and often tone) controls, and a power amplifier section to drive loudspeakers

Preamp = preamplifier. As above but minus the stage used to drive the speakers, so needs to be used with a...

Power amp = power amplifier. Used with a preamp, purely provides the gain to drive the speakers, but all the control stuff is done by the preamp. Power amps can be monobloc (ie mono, so two needed for stereo), stereo (ie two channels) or multichannel for use in home cinema applications.

Receiver = as integrated amplifier, but with a radio tuner built-in

AV receiver = as receiver, but with surround sound processing onboard.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your concise answer.

Why have separate units over an integrated one, is it because two separate units are better than an integrated one? Do top end manufacturers make separate units for this reason?

I am looking for a new (probably secondhand) amp, how should I decide over an intergrated amp compared to buying a pre and power amp?

Also, if I buy a pre and power amp separately how should I match them?

Regards

A

Anonymous

You can buy an integrated to begin with with a pre out, such as an Exposure 2010s, then get an Exposure 2010s power amp later, that way you can either bi-amp your speakers or use the power amp to power your speakers. I don't know how much of an improvement the second option is.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
pacton:
Thanks for your concise answer.

Why have separate units over an integrated one, is it because two separate units are better than an integrated one? Do top end manufacturers make separate units for this reason?

I am looking for a new (probably secondhand) amp, how should I decide over an intergrated amp compared to buying a pre and power amp?

Also, if I buy a pre and power amp separately how should I match them?

Regards

That's a hard one to answer. You can get an amazing integrated amplifier that is better than a pre, power combo from another company. However, the very best pre, power combo will top the very best integrated amp. Having one box instead of two or three is a plus for a lot of people.

If you are going for the pre, power route, you would be better off buying from the same range. All companies that produce a power amp will have a pre amp that has been designed to match it.

How much do you have to spend? What speakers do you have?

A

Anonymous

I have a pair of Lowther Acousta horn speakers and will spend up to £200. I would probably prefer an integrated amp, especially as I will probably buy secondhand and may find getting a pair of pre/power amps difficult as they seem to be sold separately. I will also add a DAB tuner at some point.

The Lowther speakers are extremely efficient so I won't need a hi output.

Any ideas most welcome.

Thanks

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
pacton:
I have a pair of Lowther Acousta horn speakers and will spend up to £200. I would probably prefer an integrated amp, especially as I will probably buy secondhand and may find getting a pair of pre/power amps difficult as they seem to be sold separately. I will also add a DAB tuner at some point.

The Lowther speakers are extremely efficient so I won't need a hi output.

Any ideas most welcome.

Thanks

You will definitely be better off buying second hand with your budget as you would get much more for your money.

A

Anonymous

£200 should get you a half decent Naim integrated on flea bay with an obvious upgrade path and ability to add a power amp later.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
pacton:Why have separate units over an integrated one, is it because two separate units are better than an integrated one? Do top end manufacturers make separate units for this reason?

The theory is that the two sections can then be physically separated, avoiding interference to the relatively delicate signals in the preamp from the power section, and allowing the two sections to have their own dedicated power supplies right back to the transformers.

pacton:I am looking for a new (probably secondhand) amp, how should I
decide over an intergrated amp compared to buying a pre and power amp?

Purely on sound quality and convenience. It's worth listening to both options at your selected price, and deciding which you prefer.

pacton:Also, if I buy a pre and power amp separately how should I match them?

The safest way is to buy a preamp and power amp from the same manufacturer; mixing and macthing will introduce a whole load more variables.

A

Anonymous

Thanks again.

Any recommendations for makes/models for a secondhand integrated or pre/power amp combo?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
For that money, integrated every time.

Pioneer A-400 or A-300, Marantz PM-66 or a KI if you can get one, Audiolab 8000A, just about anything Rotel, that sort of thing...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts