Amp Help

ratcatcher

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi

This my first post so please be gentle with me.

My setup is Yamaha rs700 receiver, Rega 3 turntable, Monitor Audio brx5 speakers. MP3 & Flac files played through a Sonas setup connected to a Nas drive connected to receiver.I am thinking of changing the recever as I no longer use the tuner because I use the Sonas for all radio stations. I was thinking of getting the Yamaha as500 but I think this will be more of a down grade although reviews show it is better than the rs700 so I need some advice. My budget is about £350 to £450.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
ratcatcher said:
Come on don't Be shy

OK.

Why bother?

One piece of midprice Yamaha electronics for another piece of mid priced Yamaha. What do you expect to achieve?

Buy something that will make a difference, better speakers or, if you play a lot of vinyl, get a better record player.

On the other hand, as a Sonos (I assume thats what you mean) user you could rethink your entire playback system, which Sonos do you have?

ratcatcher

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Sonos Connect, connected to amp & hard wired to Nas drive with a Bridge feeding speaker in another room.

I am happy with Turntable & Speakers. I don't want a Receiver anymore but straight Amplifier instead, It doesn't have to

be the AS500.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Fair enough.

Just strikes me as a fair amount of money to spend on what will be, after all the excitement has worn off, a minimal improvement.

Your money, your choice of course but for a really worthwhile improvement I would be looking to spend rather more, A Creek with onboard phono would really make a difference but it is double your budget.

matthewpiano

I completely agree with Dave. Changing to the A-S500 is hardly worthwhile. It is OK but you can do better and make a much more significant upgrade for your money.

If you are sticking to budget there are some good options out there. If you can find a used Creek 4330 you would find it a massive upgrade. It is quite rare but worth seeking out. I had one for a while and was stupid enough to sell it rather than giving it the partnering speakers and sources it deserved. Very engaging amp and I've never really matched it until now.

Now brings me to the Exposure 1010. Like the Creek 4330 this amp is very engaging and involving to listen to and it has plenty of power in reserve for the transients. It never sounds like it is struggling and I think it is a bit of a bargain for around £400 new. Again this would be a significant upgrade.

Another used amp worth looking for is the Creek Evolution 2 - the predecessor of the Evolution 50A.

ratcatcher

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I have only been familiar with the japanese brands and not really thought about anything different. I will look around my area to see what else is available and see if I can get a demo of what's been advised.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Brio R logical choice, but so are Creek and Exposure budget offerings

Yes I prefer the Creek 50A to the Rega but its more money and I don't think the phono stage is standard, Creek 50A is £700 maybe can get an ex demo one but not many dealers about. Same for Exposure.

T

the record spot

Shaky logic at work here - I don;t think you'll find much at your budget, but would suggest you look around at secondhand sites like Big Ears Audio, Audio Emotion, Emporium Hifi, 2ndHandHifi and see what they have. More for your money and maybe even a small warranty too.

Tarxman

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
ratcatcher said:
I have only been familiar with the japanese brands and not really thought about anything different. I will look around my area to see what else is available and see if I can get a demo of what's been advised.
Where a outs are you located ratcatcher?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
OK then there a mainly used hifi shop at Sawbridgeworth which is not far from you, they also stock some new gear like Creek. Not a good demo room but they have loads of used or old new gear. It by the railway station.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts