Amp for sonus faber 2.5

Soundsinheaven

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
Possibles so far 2nd hand only

avi lab series, naim nat 5i, primare i30 or the older 30.1mark2, or some valve amp... Have I missed anything out.?

currently have them bi amped with a cyrus 3 amp and power with a psx- r attached to the 3. Running nordost flatline gold speak cable to the SF's

could I upgrade this with another power and two psx-r's

Source is a audiolab m-dac, arcam alpha 6 and a xbox one all running on QED cables

any help ideas?

Soundsinheaven

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
Yeh it's a difficult one to describe but to be more soft and smooth, it's super sharpe which is great for lots of my music I listen too but it's missing something? It's a bit of finding out the weekest link that I have currently and then maximising the full potential of the m-dac and sonus faber. Is the cyrus the weak link? Could a new amp be the item that lets the S.faber show their full potential? What is that amp? Anymore ideas?

Dont get me wrong it's impressive already but I want more of something... But I am not sure what that something is?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
IME The amp will have quite an effect on how the speakers will sound....it just depends on how far along the "smooth spectrum" you want to go.....and the only way to do that is match with different alternatives eg.
Bel Canto is a little smoother, whereas Arcam, Croft, Pathos and Electrocompaniet would be a fair bit smoother. Ayre, Creek and Rega somewhere in between.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I think the speakers are voiced to have that sonic character.

347ir28.jpg

Try tilting them so they are not looking at the listening position, but forward.

Soundsinheaven

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
Will try repositioning them and let you know.

It could be the speakers need a longer time too break in? aprox. 200 hours so I was told. As they have been and x demo pair, one would think they have had a good time and are now showing their ture colours?

Soundsinheaven

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
Bringing them together to about 3m and having a slight toe in. Pulling them off the back and side walls 40cm gave good results. I had to move the listening chair back doing this as I lost the bass. Results: Less in your face and better soundstage. Thanks!

no one commented on primare a30.1 mark11 as a good 2nd hand buy? Or the newer i30?

the dealer said valve amp is the way to go... But which 2nd hand one?

i have an budget of £1000 for something realy special! But a bit less would be better ....if the improvements are there?

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Just to add I had a listen to the Sonus faber's 2.5 about a year ago & I found the bass lacking dept. Mid range was warm & open but the bottom end sounded empty. Even the Sonus faber toys had a better bottom end. But speakers were amplified by Arcam 750 AV amp & a unison amp.

Soundsinheaven

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
For £180 I've just added an extra power to my system and run my cyrus 111 just as a pre amp. (Only in stereo mode as need psx-r's to run the powers in mono. )
What about Roksan Caspian M2?

Soundsinheaven

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
What do people think about partnering with sonus faber venere 2.5. Speaker with the Gato dia 250. Venere 2.5 is not the classic sonus faber sound. I've been told it not a good match being the Gato is class d amplification. But the gato is no ordinary glass D! I listen to all types of music.

TRENDING THREADS