amp for Monitor Audio-need help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all. Need some help. Recently bought pair of MA GR20. Was looking for S6 or RS6 but Gold ones was very good bargain. But after reading internet about them I realised that my Denon AVR 3801 is not good enough to drive them. And I think about upgrading in amp area of my system. My funds are limited at the moment to 400-500 pounds. I understand that for this budget Iwill not get all what GR20 are capable for but may be its still be better than what I have now. Or not much? I see these options at the moment:

1. Buy vintage power amp (Quad 606, Linn LK140 etc) and use Denon as pre for now then may be buy matching pre.

2. Buy newer power amp like Arcam P35, Nad C270/272, use Denon as pre.

3. Buy integrated/AV like Nad C370/372, Arcam AV350 etc

4. Sell GR20 and buy silver series.

My problem is that I am not much experienced in this and do not have a chance to audition any of these options before buying.

I would be greatfull for any advice and suggestion of other amps suitable for my situation.

A

Anonymous

The M/A GR20's are superb speakers so they need a good amp to drive them
emotion-1.gif

The idea of adding a power amp to your combo is good; the likes of a decent NAD power amp or an Arcam Alpha 10P power amp would do very well.

If you want to go down the route of an integrated then along the lines of a Roksan Kandy LIII, Arcam Alpha 10 integrated or a NAD C370 integrated would also work very well

GolumDub:

Hi all. Need some help. Recently bought pair of MA GR20. Was looking for S6 or RS6 but Gold ones was very good bargain. But after reading internet about them I realised that my Denon AVR 3801 is not good enough to drive them. And I think about upgrading in amp area of my system. My funds are limited at the moment to 400-500 pounds. I understand that for this budget Iwill not get all what GR20 are capable for but may be its still be better than what I have now. Or not much? I see these options at the moment:

1. Buy vintage power amp (Quad 606, Linn LK140 etc) and use Denon as pre for now then may be buy matching pre.

2. Buy newer power amp like Arcam P35, Nad C270/272, use Denon as pre.

3. Buy integrated/AV like Nad C370/372, Arcam AV350 etc

4. Sell GR20 and buy silver series.

My problem is that I am not much experienced in this and do not have a chance to audition any of these options before buying.

I would be greatfull for any advice and suggestion of other amps suitable for my situation.

Look at Arcam A85/P85 combo. Should drive those Gold series without trouble. Roksan Kandy LIII or maybe Creek Evo would also be a good match. Avoid budget Nad choices. They are found wanting when driving difficult speakers (WHFI have exposed this deficiency 2 or 3 times over the past few years).

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
What are your thoughts on Musical Fidelity ?

Could probably get a pair of used XA200s for around the £500 mark (though hard to find I know, looking myself). Mind you might want MF for pre as well. XA1 for less than 200.

A

Anonymous

thanks for your replies. what would you say if to get arcam p85 and bi-amp it with my Denon? Plastic Penguin, is NAD c272 a budget Nad? What about Arcam AV 350? I could bi-amp with it as well. And Quad 606 or Linn not a good option?

A

Anonymous

I am a bit lost with MF-was looking on ebay and prices are very different on different models. I mean times different. So do not know what model is a bargain or just a cheep model. What you say about audiolab 8000?

GolumDub:thanks for your replies. what would you say if to get arcam p85 and bi-amp it with my Denon? Plastic Penguin, is NAD c272 a budget Nad? What about Arcam AV 350? I could bi-amp with it as well. And Quad 606 or Linn not a good option?

If you want to get the best (relatively speaking) from those GR20s, I would avoid any sub-£500 amp RRP. The point about the Nad is, although very good within it's price bracket, can be found wanting driving hi-end speakers. Whereas Arcam, Roksan, Creek etc. are far better in this area.

A

Anonymous

No; the NAD C272 power amp is NOT a budget power amp; it's a superb animal and would drive the M/A's with aplomb
emotion-11.gif

It has bags of power and reserve and would really kick out some great sound
emotion-1.gif

I do think that an absolute minimum of 80wpc is needed; 100wpc or more is much better for the GR20's

If you're lucky enough you could potentially find an Arcam Alpha 10 integrated and it's matching Alpha 10P power amp on eBay. Those would certainly fit the bill

A

Anonymous

thanks a lot for your help. will look for arcam. there is p35 on e bay at the moment, what you say about it? and what do you think about arcam avr350?

A

Anonymous

From my own experience with MA Gold and various AV and stereo equipment few years ago, I recommend that you do not use Denon AV receiver as pre for stereo. It can not compete with dedicated stereo equipment. Buy a decent stereo integrated amplifier or pre/power combination to drive your pair of speakers. Buying only the stereo power amplifier is not the best option imho.

If you want to use MA Golds additionally as front speakers within your HT setup, connect the stereo equipment to pre outs on the back of your AV receiver.

For stereo integrated or pre/power, I tried MA Golds and got good results with several MF and Marantz models. I am sure there are plenty of others out there, some of them recommended above. They will all beat your AV receiver in regard to stereo sound quality.

A

Anonymous

thanks, zelkop.
"If you want to use MA Golds additionally as front speakers within your
HT setup, connect the stereo equipment to pre outs on the back of your
AV receiver." thats what I was thinking about. at the moment. later I would upgrade my Denon to either better reciever or quality preamp. do you think adding just quality poweramp(arcam or creek or roksan or musical fidelity) will improve sound quality so I will see it?

A

Anonymous

I would keep the Denon and buy a stereo pre/power or integrated amp (to which you can later add a power amp for biamping). Both will be much better for stereo sound than adding a power amp to existing setup.

Arcam, Nad, Marantz will work well with your MA. For 500 or less you can buy a very decent used integrated amp that will sing.

You did not mention the source, so save money for a matching CD player. Do not use standard midrange DVD player for stereo music, any dedicated CD player will outperform it easily.

A

Anonymous

Very happy with the Primare. Bought it new from old stock, bargain.

A

Anonymous

ok, then will be looking for decent integrated amp. What partycular models would you recommend as even one manufacturers has its ups and downs and new not always meens better.and I believe I need pretty powerful amp to make my speakers happy. Say what Arcam model whoud be the best? What Musical Fidelity(beside x-a200)?

Pete 10- checked the net about primare-seems great amps but not much choice around. And they are pretty costy.

GolumDub:

ok, then will be looking for decent integrated amp. What partycular models would you recommend as even one manufacturers has its ups and downs and new not always meens better.and I believe I need pretty powerful amp to make my speakers happy. Say what Arcam model whoud be the best? What Musical Fidelity(beside x-a200)?

Pete 10- checked the net about primere-seems great amps but not much choice around. And they are pretty costy.

Primare isn't a particularly good match with MA Silver range. The Golds could be a different prospect though.

As far as Arcam go, the likes of the hi-end A85 or FMJ A32 or the newer A38.

A

Anonymous

An Arcam Alpha 10 or FMJ A32 integrated would be a very good match; as I've said before hand

I wouldnt go for the DiVA A85 TBH; a little too mellow and smooth for the M/A speakers

TRENDING THREADS