Amp for MA Silver RX speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I recently purchased a set of MA Silver speakers (7.1: RX6, Centre, RXW-12 Sub, 2 pairs of RX1's for sides/rears) and need a suitable amplifier for it. I've sampled (but can't keep as it belongs to someone else) the Onkyo TX-NR5008 with it for a few days and it's definitely the kind of thing I'm looking for, but it's a little outdated (I've heard it would be best to buy a more recent amp lest there be any problems should I need parts if it breaks down) and I'd prefer a more up-to-date spec. I'm looking to spend up to (maximum) 2k but would prefer anything recent that tops the 5008 in performance. I'm looking for a 50:50 performance split as I listen to a lot of music (I'd get the most benefit from an amp that makes Hans Zimmer/Clint Mansell-type music sound superb as I don't listen to pop/electronic style stuff) and watch a lot of films.

Any feedback would be great, thanks

Steve

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
5008 outdated? In what way?! If you're worried about being fully up to date, the 5009 will be out in the summer.

A popular choice for the RX series has been the Pioneer SCLX83, which you'll find many posts on here if you do a quick search - Canada16 is using this combination. I find mine to be excellent as far as music is concerned, and it's only held back by the M&K speakers I have. It sounds much better with my KEF Q300's for music, as would yours.

Unfortunately there's no Yamaha equivalent on the market until they pull their fingers out and release the Aventage range over here.

A

Anonymous

I might be wrong (it is known very regularly) but I think Canada16 has an SC-LX72!

A

Anonymous

Yup

I have the RX6 for front and RXFX for the rear, and a rsw12 subwoofer.

The amp I got was the Pioneer SC-LX72, as not intrested in 3D, But heard mine can force 3D, but have not tested as have not got a 3D tv.

Bags and bags of detail, and the sound for movies is mind blowing.

If I had to buy everything again, the only thing I would do different is try the new Kef speakers, but they were not released when I bought my set.

But I am happy with my purchase, and the boys at Frank Harvey hifi were very helpful.

A

Anonymous

The combination I have is an SC-LX83 with RX8 fronts, RXC and RXFX rears although with the RX8 the sub didn't prove to be that much of an improvement. It sounds great with all the music I've tried so far (Jazz, Rock, Techno, Classical and more) and with movies it really does wonderful things, to the detriment of my downstairs neigbour.

A

Anonymous

Thanks David, Mark, et al for your replies, it looks like the clear winner here is the LX83. I'll get myself a loan of one for a few days and give it a try.

FYI I asked about getting a recent amp simply because I thought a more recent amp could have the same performance as the 5008 for less, that said it's a very recent amp, and feature-wise it's more than I need anyway.

I'll be sure to post pics of the setup after it's complete :)

Thanks again,

Steve

mursf said:
I recently purchased a set of MA Silver speakers (7.1: RX6, Centre, RXW-12 Sub, 2 pairs of RX1's for sides/rears) and need a suitable amplifier for it. I've sampled (but can't keep as it belongs to someone else) the Onkyo TX-NR5008 with it for a few days and it's definitely the kind of thing I'm looking for, but it's a little outdated (I've heard it would be best to buy a more recent amp lest there be any problems should I need parts if it breaks down) and I'd prefer a more up-to-date spec. I'm looking to spend up to (maximum) 2k but would prefer anything recent that tops the 5008 in performance. I'm looking for a 50:50 performance split as I listen to a lot of music (I'd get the most benefit from an amp that makes Hans Zimmer/Clint Mansell-type music sound superb as I don't listen to pop/electronic style stuff) and watch a lot of films.

Any feedback would be great, thanks

Steve

Hi Steve

I would also add Denon's AVR-A100 as Denon AV amplifiers also form a good tonal match with Silver RX speakers :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts