Amp for B&W 804 Diamond

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I used to have a pair of N803's.
You need to take into account the minimum load impedance of 3ohm's. If you don't really listen loud, this won't be as much of a problem, but if you do listen loud, the amp will need to have good current delivery and be stable at 2ohms.

A lot of amplifiers are only specified as low as 4ohm stable. I had a Krell Kav300iL(200w@8ohm, 400w@4ohm) that wasn't rated below 4 ohms. I blew the fuses in the amp twice, before finally blowing the amp driving the B&W's hard.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The B&W 800 series is commonly paired with Classe amplification, which is of similar capabilities to Bryston. Whilst you don't necessarily need to go that far (depending on your room size and volume needed), that'll give you an idea of what's needed to drive them to their fullest capabilities.

vishals said:
Hi All, I am considering upgrading my B&W PM1's with the 804's. Need some advice on a suitable amplifier.

Was considering the Naim SuperUniti.

Hi vishals

How would you describe the performance of your HK990/PM1 combination?

What areas of improvement are you looking from the 804's over the PM1's?

What source component/s are you using?

Is your preference for an integrated amplifier, pre/power or either?

Is there anything in particular you would like the amplifier to have (such as remote, tone controls, MP3 input, headphone socket, phono input etc.)?

The size of your room?

Your listening distance?

Your general listening level?

Is the room lightly or heavily furnished?

What kind of presentation are you looking for the system to achieve?

Interconnects and speakers cables?

Your overall budget?

With new speakers and amp what kind of presentation are you looking for the system to achieve?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Hi Rick

The imaging is great, bass is not too bad for such a small speaker and theres lots of detail in the music.

Its not warm or bright, very neutral sound.

However the combo can be a bit "polite" at times...

The HK990 definitely would be the minimum in terms of power that I would recommend for the PM1's

as they are quite demanding.

The diamond tweeter would be an improvement in terms of smoothness and the bass would definitely be a plus.

Currently using Ultralink speaker cables and Cambridge Audio 651BD blu ray via Toslink (I think the amps DAC sounds better)

Would prefer an integrated setup (due to space restrictions) and network capabilities along with USB input.

Room is open plan 4.5m x 10m

Listening distance 3.5 m

Listen at moderate levels.

Wooden floors and lightly furnished.

Would like like the new combo to be a bit more engaging than the current setup.

Amp budget £3500 - £4000.

Vishal

A

Anonymous

Hi David

Do you think the Superuniti would be better matched to the PM1's ?

Vishal

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Vishal

I think the suggestion of Classe is a good one, and would like to add:

Sugden Masterclass IA-4
Musical Fidelity M6i/M6500i/AMS 35i (ex-dem)
Electrocompaniet ECI-5 Mk2
Leema Tucana 11

vishals said:
Hi Rick

The imaging is great, bass is not too bad for such a small speaker and theres lots of detail in the music.

Its not warm or bright, very neutral sound.

However the combo can be a bit "polite" at times...

The HK990 definitely would be the minimum in terms of power that I would recommend for the PM1's

as they are quite demanding.

The diamond tweeter would be an improvement in terms of smoothness and the bass would definitely be a plus.

Currently using Ultralink speaker cables and Cambridge Audio 651BD blu ray via Toslink (I think the amps DAC sounds better)

Would prefer an integrated setup (due to space restrictions) and network capabilities along with USB input.

Room is open plan 4.5m x 10m

Listening distance 3.5 m

Listen at moderate levels.

Wooden floors and lightly furnished.

Would like like the new combo to be a bit more engaging than the current setup.

Amp budget £3500 - £4000.

Vishal

Suprabhata Vishal

Thanks for your relply.

For an integrated amplifier at around £4k with USB facility etc. and one with an energitic presentation then (as long as you're not after constant disco like levels) I think you're on the right track with the SuperUniti.

Btw, are you also willing to consider alternative speakers?

Bada mem

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts