Amp for B&W 685

The Kraken

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
I have just bought some B&W 685's and need a new amp to go with them. Looking to spend up to £300 and am swaying towards used as you get a lot more for your money. Going to be connected to a CD player and an AUX cable until I can buy a DAC in future for music from my macbook. Was wondering what works well and what I should keep my eye out for on auction sites and forums.

Cheers for your help.

rjbell

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
Why don't you get something like the Monitor Audio airstream a100 half price at sevenoaks at £200. Its got everything but the kitchen sink. Wireless streaming, built in dac to plug in a laptop or phone...

rainsoothe

manicm said:
I would look towards a secondhand model of one of Rotel's recent amps which have built-in DACs and USB for digital iPod playback.

don't know if it'll fit budget. Personally, I'd try to find used Rotel RA 1062 or RA 1520 (but preferably the 1062). And get a Behringer UCA202 for USB dac. Or, if optical and/or coax is needed on the DAC, save up for Musical Fidelity V90DAC (for a smoother sound) or Micromega MyDac for livelier. Or maybe a Schiit Modi 2 Uber for cheapsies.

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
The Kraken said:
I have just bought some B&W 685's and need a new amp to go with them. Looking to spend up to £300 and am swaying towards used as you get a lot more for your money. Going to be connected to a CD player and an AUX cable until I can buy a DAC in future for music from my macbook. Was wondering what works well and what I should keep my eye out for on auction sites and forums.

Cheers for your help.

I've got a Marantz PM7001 amp and SA7001 SA-CD player which i'm looking to sell. £260 plus postage for the pair ?

The Kraken

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your offer however I've tried some Marantz kit before and am not a fan of the way they sound or look as much as some other companies like Arcam.

Cheers anyway :')

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts