amp for arcam cd72 and monitor audio silver rx1

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
afternoon. im looking to purchase an amp to go with the above equipment at the moment they are running on my denon 2310 and although i am quite impressed with the sound from the av amp i get the feeling i could get more from a stereo amp without to greater out lay. my budget is around the 300-400 mark. in the past iv been a kef man for speakers and always felt there was something missing, on purchasing the monitors iv realise it has been warmth so would like an amp that doesnt take that warmth away but on the other hand i dont want to go to far that way. was looking at rotel ra-04se cambridge audio azur 650a or marantz pm6003. any ideas please

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
In agreement with BC above re the Arcam DiVa A85 integrated. Have a nosey on eBay and see what you can find
emotion-1.gif

If you're after new then the NAD C326BEE or the C355BEE integrated will work very well with the Arcam CDP and the M/A speakers.

The Rotel is a good bet as would an Audiolab 8000S integrated as well.

Are you able to demo at all? Also; have you budgeted for speaker stand and speaker cable/interconnetcs etc...?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Arcam A85 on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Arcam-a85-/270571823875?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item3eff566303

A

Anonymous

pauladamss:afternoon. im looking to purchase an amp to go with the above equipment at the moment they are running on my denon 2310 and although i am quite impressed with the sound from the av amp i get the feeling i could get more from a stereo amp without to greater out lay. my budget is around the 300-400 mark. in the past iv been a kef man for speakers and always felt there was something missing, on purchasing the monitors iv realise it has been warmth so would like an amp that doesnt take that warmth away but on the other hand i dont want to go to far that way. was looking at rotel ra-04se cambridge audio azur 650a or marantz pm6003. any ideas pleasei cant answer your question , i have very limited hifi knowledge , what i can say is that i just switched from using a yamaha av receiver for music , to a nad c326bee using monitor br5s , as good as the yamaha is , the difference is night and day , the nad is superb , and thats just using a bluray player to spin the cds , cant wait till i get my nad cd player
emotion-1.gif

pauladamss:afternoon. im looking to purchase an amp to go with the above equipment at the moment they are running on my denon 2310 and although i am quite impressed with the sound from the av amp i get the feeling i could get more from a stereo amp without to greater out lay. my budget is around the 300-400 mark. in the past iv been a kef man for speakers and always felt there was something missing, on purchasing the monitors iv realise it has been warmth so would like an amp that doesnt take that warmth away but on the other hand i dont want to go to far that way. was looking at rotel ra-04se cambridge audio azur 650a or marantz pm6003. any ideas please

S/hand I would say Exposure 2010S, Roksan Kandy LIII or Rotel RA-06. Brand new, budget Marantz, Rotel RA-04SE. Also have a look on Sevenoaks Sound and Vision's website and Audio-T. They both usually have some cracking deals on ex-dem stuff.

A

Anonymous

i have got a nad c352 that i used with the arcam and kef Q55.2 but this combo sounded terrible no life, no treble it just sounds bland and muffled . it has put me of nad a bit

as for stands i have atacama hms1 and cable chord co. carnival silver screen

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
IMHO I think the Kefs would have been at fault here as the NAD is certainly not lifeless.

The Arcam CDP could be a little laid back but again not lifeless.

I'd say you need to demo the NAD amps as well as the Rotel RA04SE and maybe even the Audiolab amp mentioned. All will work very well with the CDP and M/A speakers.

A

Anonymous

no im not saying all nads my previous amp was the nad c370 which was a nice amp. but i do agree i dont think the 55.2 where one of kefs better speakers. i may give the nad another go before spending out on another amp

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Deffo agree with that!

The NAD C352 is a superb amp and still stands it ground today; I think with the M/A speakers it'll do very well but the CDP could be looked at for a change. The NAD C545BEE or the Rega Apollo would be great options as would a decent 2nd hand Arcam CD192 (if you can find one
emotion-1.gif
)

What interconnects do you use?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
d_a_n1979:Deffo agree with that! The NAD C352 is a superb amp and still stands it ground today; I think with the M/A speakers it'll do very well but the CDP could be looked at for a change. The NAD C545BEE or the Rega Apollo would be great options as would a decent 2nd hand Arcam CD192 (if you can find one
emotion-1.gif
) What interconnects do you use?

Was it not the 352 which was reviewed poorly, so soon after they brought out a 352 version 2 or something which was the cracker? Or am I talking complete nonsense?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
No youre right BC; the better version of the NAD C352 integrated amp has 'PD' under the volume knob!

To the OP; does your NAD C352 amp have this?

A

Anonymous

it is the pd version. interconnector is wireworld lunar 6 sp cable chord carnival silver screen both these are new never used with the nad

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I think now that we know which amp you've got; your budget wouldnt really equate to an upgrade; more like a sideways move.

The NAD C352 integrated amp is a belter still and is widely loved
emotion-1.gif

I do deffo think that you've made the right decision with the speakers so possibly your budget could go towards a different CDP like the ones mentioned above.

As for interconnects; Chords own work very well with NAD and Monitor audio and you'll also get the synergy with the Carnival Silverscreen speaker cable. The Crimson is a v good interconnect.

Others to consider IMO would be the Atlas Equator and possibly the Black Rhodium Prelude. It works very well in my NAD and Monitor Audio system.

Big Chris:

d_a_n1979:Deffo agree with that! The NAD C352 is a superb amp and still stands it ground today; I think with the M/A speakers it'll do very well but the CDP could be looked at for a change. The NAD C545BEE or the Rega Apollo would be great options as would a decent 2nd hand Arcam CD192 (if you can find one
emotion-1.gif
) What interconnects do you use?

Was it not the 352 which was reviewed poorly, so soon after they brought out a 352 version 2 or something which was the cracker? Or am I talking complete nonsense?

Also, for two years after the revamp, WHFI S&V referred to it as 352CT. After that time, WHFI explained that there was a mix up in communications with Nad.

A

Anonymous

if i was to switch the budget to a cdp what would the options be???

There are quite a few. I wouldn't bother with budget Arcam, Nad, Marantz or Rotel. The CD72 is a good CDP, so I would look at something like Exposure 2010S or Rega Apollo as a starting point. Also there is Yamaha which is very good CDP, likewise Cyrus CD6S.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Good call on the Cyrus CDP PP; a decent 6 or 8SE CDP via eBay would be a good match but as I said before; so would the Rega Apollo
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

just tried the nad with the cd72 and well it didnt sound like that before much improved with the rx1s also found that the interconnectors made a huge difference swapped them back for old ones and definate drop in sound quality. will probably still look into the rega apollo

A

Anonymous

i had an arcam cd72 with a nad c352 for a while. they went well together. I was also using the last incarnation of the monitor audio's. the RS1's i think. I didnt particularly like the speakers balance ( too bright) but the 3 together worked well and sounded very good indeed at times. I would try for a nad c352 if you can get one or a nadc355.The 355 is going for a bargain price at richer sounds just now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts