Amp and CD player for Kef iQ5SEs

Woof

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
After about 25 years I've finally got round to upgrading/replacing my budget HiFi setup!  This is largely due to the old faithful Heybrook HB1s woofers' rubber finally giving up the ghost and the speakers generally looking tatty.  Rest of system is Creek CAS4040 Amp, Denon DCD-810 CD player and Creek CAS3040 tuner (anyone remember this stuff?!).

For reasons above my first replacement is the speakers with a pair of Kef iQ5SEs - had great reviews and I couldn't resist the looks and bargain price (£250).  I am now trying to decide what to replace the Amp and CD player with.  I have a total budget of approximately £500 (£600 absolute max).  My musical tastes are pretty eclectic from prog rock to classical and jazz and some pop.  I am looking at Marantz PM6002 and Marantz CD6002 as a possibility, although haven't found anywhere selling these and my speakers to have a listen.  I obviously want the best sound for money I can get and to avoid anything that will sound hash with these speakers.  Would this be a good choice and, critically, would I notice a great improvement over the old Creek amp Denon CD setup?!  Other possibilities I've identified are Cambridge AZUR 540A V2 and matching amp or, if I could get a suitable price, AZUR 640C V2.  Any comments suggestions would be most welcome!

A

Anonymous

Marantz are an excellent choice.

Also see my sig for some ideas.

Auditioning is the only way to properly decide. Insist to the store that you can use your speakers if they don't have the IQ5Se's in stock. Speakers make easily the biggest difference IMHO. Happy hunting.
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Try Pioneer PD-D6-J and Pioneer A-A6. I demo'd these with the Kef iQ5SE's a few weeks ago and they sounded great together. You may have to shop around to get the two within £600 as I think they're both listed at £350. Well done on the speaker price, I found them at £300 which looked a bargain, £250 is a steal. The only reason I didn't buy is that it was very early in my hunt for new kit and I subsequently increased my budget.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I've heard (but not actually 'heard', if you understand me!) that the Pioneer kit is quite 'toppy'. Perhaps not the best thing for classical and prog rock?

A

Anonymous

Hi there,

I have bought the IQ5SE's more than a month ago for 200EUR (170gbp) and I am extremely happy with them.

During my auditioning, they were connected to a Marantz 4001 amp and it was that sound that made me fall in love with them (and the price tag to be honest, for my heart truly desired B&W 684s which were 500EUR a piece and I couldn't justify the difference).

So, Marantz would be a safe and sound pairing, I think.

Best.

Woof

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for all your comments. ÿI think the local Richer sounds now have the iQ5SE's and the Marantz Amp and CD player so hopefully I'll b able to give them a listen. ÿThe speakers actually sound great with my existing system and I can see I'll have more difficulty now persuading my wife that the rest of the old kit needs replacing! ÿ

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi woof

Good speakers. Personally I would invest in a decent amplifier and my choice around £500 is Denon's PMA1500, a superb allrounder.

http://www.denon.co.uk/site/frames_main.php?main=prod&MID=3&sub=2&fill=1&action=detail&Pid=253&

Then change the player to the matching Denon as and when you can afford it or, alternatively, purchase a DAC (CA/Beresford etc) and use your cdp as transport if it has optical out.

regards

matthewpiano

The PMA1500 is superb. I absolutely cannot fault mine and it beat everything else I listened to (including Arcams, Marantz, Rotel, Rega etc.). It satisfies me in a way that my previous Cambridge 740A couldn't and I'm enjoying recordings I've not listened to for ages. Its had very little UK press attention but you should ignore that and give the Denon an audition because it really is very very special.

Woof

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
UPDATE - I finally went for the Cambridge Azur 640A/C V2 CD and amp. ÿI'd like to say it was down to the sensational dynamics, superb transparency and imagery etc but mainly it was due to the fact Richer Sounds had them reduced by £110 and £130 respectively and, unlike the Marantz, they fit in our existing cabinet without major surgery (I still had to drill some holes to accommodate the plugs - depth measurement doesn't include these or the large volume control!) which wasn't going to go down well with my wife. ÿI dare sayÿDenon's PMA1500 is a great amp but outside my budget (£500 for CD and amp). ÿAnyway they do sound great and the depth of sound is certainly superior to the old Creek. ÿHOWEVER I would say that if you were to believe the HiFi press, the constant improvements in HiFi ÿoverÿthe last 25 yearsÿsince I bought the Creek CAS4040 for £99ÿ(exemplified by the fact that this magazine thought the azur 640 V2 was the best thing since sliced bread only 3 years ago and now it only merits 4 stars)ÿÿwould have made it sound like a tin box in comparison to the Cambridge pairing which it doesn't - the difference is appreciable but not huge. ÿIt does leave me with the feeling that, while different equipment may undoubtedly give different characteristics to the sound, improvements over the years have been marginal. ÿIt has to be said, as a scientist, I would love to see people reviewing equipment blind - particularly with respect to apparently perceived differences with "bi-wiring" and spending huge amounts of money on cabling that would safely power a small hospital to convey a few milliamps - don't get me started....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts