Amp advice for Monitor BX2s

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, Recently bought a pair of Monitor BX 2s, but they're currently paired with a cheap denon amp which I don't think is bringing out the best in them! Budget for an upgrade is limited - anyone have any view on how a Cambridge Audio 340A would sound with these speakers? Cheers SKYB

A

Anonymous

Have you run the speakers in? Some say they take around 40 hours until they break in. What denon amp do you have?

A

Anonymous

Cheers for the post.

Denon is an old, cheap PMA255, and the speakers should definiately be run in by now.

They sound pretty good, but after an upgrade for the amp and wondered if this would be a suitable match?

Cheers

SKYB

A

Anonymous

Cheers for the post.

Denon is an old, cheap PMA255, and the speakers should definiately be run in by now.

They sound pretty good, but after an upgrade for the amp and wondered if this would be a suitable match?

Cheers

SKYB

deanhartley

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
Skyblues said:
Hi, Recently bought a pair of Monitor BX 2s, but they're currently paired with a cheap denon amp which I don't think is bringing out the best in them! Budget for an upgrade is limited - anyone have any view on how a Cambridge Audio 340A would sound with these speakers? Cheers SKYB

Hi,

I think What Hi-fi used the Marantz PM6000 on the BX2 for review. I have heard this and apears to have very good synergy with the BX2's. The CA340 should also work well.

Regards,

A

Anonymous

Deanhartley

sorry for hijacking the thread but would you have any advice on what amp to pair monitor audio RX2's with? im looking to upgrade my amp in not that long and would love to know what amp goes really really well with the RX2's synergy wise

A

Anonymous

This gets good reviews http://www.richersounds.com/product/amplifiers-receivers/yamaha/as500/yama-as500
Good match for the speakers.

Red Dragon

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm kinda going the other way and wonder if my current amp (CA 640R Azure) would be good with a pair of the BX2's...I read that they are good alrounders and would be looking to incorporate them into a combined stereo/cinema setup so they would be getting a regular and thorough workout as they would be the main monitors for my tv viewing also...

Anyone out there have a similar amp/speaker combo ?

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
Jezbaker I think you should get an equalizer or add an equalizer do your pc.that would make wonders to your sound

deanhartley

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
JezBaker said:
Deanhartley

sorry for hijacking the thread but would you have any advice on what amp to pair monitor audio RX2's with? im looking to upgrade my amp in not that long and would love to know what amp goes really really well with the RX2's synergy wise

Hi, Thanks for buying RX2, It's an odball by todays 'slim/compact' speaker trends. However the benefits of the large 8" driver cannot really be matched dynamically by smaller drivers. You really need an amp to driver them hard and get the scale they are capable of. In my view anyone should look to spend around the same on an amp (at least), as the speakers. You need really to be looking at something like a Naim Nait5 or Rotel 1520. However, don't discount used equipment. My choice would be to go for a used Cyrus 8 integrated amp (probably around £400, check ebay). All should work well with the RX2. Hope that helps

If you are looking for two-channel only, then I'd definately look down this route.

Regards,

A

Anonymous

ear said:
Jezbaker I think you should get an equalizer or add an equalizer do your pc.that would make wonders to your sound

If you could point me in the right direction ,or link me to an equalizer that would be great as i have no clue about them

deanhartley

Dec 18, 2008
Visit site
JezBaker said:
ear said:

If you could point me in the right direction ,or link me to an equalizer that would be great as i have no clue about them

I think someone might be pulling your leg!

A

Anonymous

deanhartley said:
JezBaker said:
Deanhartley

Hi, Thanks for buying RX2, It's an odball by todays 'slim/compact' speaker trends. However the benefits of the large 8" driver cannot really be matched dynamically by smaller drivers. You really need an amp to driver them hard and get the scale they are capable of. In my view anyone should look to spend around the same on an amp (at least), as the speakers. You need really to be looking at something like a Naim Nait5 or Rotel 1520. However, don't discount used equipment. My choice would be to go for a used Cyrus 8 integrated amp (probably around £400, check ebay). All should work well with the RX2. Hope that helps If you are looking for two-channel only, then I'd definately look down this route. Regards,

Thanks for the excellent reply dean. I will be checking out all the amps which you mentioned above
smiley-cool.gif

TRENDING THREADS