Americana - Neil Young

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Why can't all rock albums sound this good?

I don't know why the album got such middling reviews. It's really good. Nothing profound, just the sound of old friends making great sounds and having fun. In the context of recent Neil LPs I prefer it to Fork In The Road and it hangs together better than the sprawling but occasionally brilliant Chrome Dreams II. Not a sonic blitzkrieg like Le Noise, rather it's a celebration of the art of playing tunes and performing for the pleasure of it.

Plus you get the best version of a national anthem this side of Hendrix's Star Spanlged Banner. In this instance, God Save The Queen. Well, Neil is a Canadian paying his respects after all.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Overdose said:
Thanks, another one to the wish list. A good recording?

Superb recording to my ancient ears.

I hate duplicating albums on different formats but I'm really tempted by the vinyl and/or Blu-ray of this. Many of my existing duplicates are Neil Young records, so I suppose another one won't do any harm.

matthewpiano

I think 'Americana' is brilliant and one of the best things Young has done for some time. It is certainly eons better than 'Living With War' and, I agree, more consistent than Chrome Dreams II. Like you, I like the fact that the record sounds like people enjoying making music. I've already listened to it 3 times since getting it on release day and I think it will earn a place as one of those records I listen to on a regular basis. Excellent stuff.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I've ordered the vinyl from amazon, but just had email that it's not going to arrive until after 26th July !!! Haven't had a listen yet to the CD/download etc, as don't want to spoil the fun. Anyone know if this will be available earlier elsewhere?

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Alec said:
I've just Spotified Le Noise. Less than impressed, though its pleasant and inoffensive enough I guess.

I'll do Americana when I've slept.

Yes, Le Noise is so mainstream isn't it.

Dandy C, have you tried Neil's official site for vinyl release date? I've ordered a few things in recent years and it's pretty speedy for a US-based site.

Back to the music, Americana reminds me slightly of Re-act-or (1981), a little noticed Neil & Crazy Horse LP, another great, crunching, scuzzed rock production, less tuneful than the latest batch but pretty good all the same.

matthewpiano

I quite like Le Noise actually. Personally I think the only sub-standard album NY has made in recent years is 'Living With War'. I think it's dreadful and I wish he'd never made it. 'Greendale' is patchy but there is some good stuff on there. 'Chrome Dreams II' is largely very good. One thing you can always count on from Neil Young is something different!

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I quite like Le Noise actually. Personally I think the only sub-standard album NY has made in recent years is 'Living With War'. I think it's dreadful and I wish he'd never made it. 'Greendale' is patchy but there is some good stuff on there. 'Chrome Dreams II' is largely very good. One thing you can always count on from Neil Young is something different!

Yes, I agree with you about Le Noise, it's pretty good. One of those "must play loud" albums.

Struggled to like Greendale - the concept(!), the lack of tunes and no mention of Postman Pat were a bit of a let down. Preferred Silver & Gold and Prairie Wind of the more recent gentle stuff.

So Matthew, what are your top 5 Neil albums?

Here's mine, at least for today:

On The Beach

Rust Never Sleeps

Zuma

After The Goldrush

Landing On Water

matthewpiano

Difficult one that Charlie but, as of today:

Harvest

After The Gold Rush

Zuma

American Stars 'N Bars

Comes A Time

Plenty of others that I love though and that is before his collaborations like the Stills-Young Band (love that album) and the CSNY stuff.

A

Anonymous

Hi all

Think I'm going to add Americana to my wish list after the comments here. I love his music and his uncompromising, defiant attitude. Just to add that 2 of my favourite NY CD's are perhaps the ones that get little mention - Unplugged and Silver and Gold. I love the gentle, understated nature of these.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to add Americana to my Neil Young collection. I don't have the recent ones like Le Noise, Cow Palace, A tresure or Americana. N. Young just releases so many! I'll have to wait for Christmas time.

My 5 favourite Neil Young albums so far that I have are:

-Neil Young

-Zuma

-After the Goldrush

-Live Rust

-Weld

I also like Greendale and Sleeps with Angels plus many more.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
I don't think I'm a fan. About halfway through Americana I think (Spotify is on shuffle though, only just realized). I guess he did at least try to polish God Save The Queen. Previous experience supported so far, anyway.

Le Noise isn't what one would probably think of as "mainstream", but it is bland and inoffensive to these ears. Parts of Monster were more offensive to me, and REM were commercial tarts by comparison (notice they got Strange Currencies on the same record).

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Does anyone have the bluray version? Quick fancy it in hi res, but don't have a multi region bluray player, so don't want to order it and find out its us only!

If anyone does have it on bluray, do you rate it?

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
gregvet said:
Does anyone have the bluray version? Quick fancy it in hi res, but don't have a multi region bluray player, so don't want to order it and find out its us only!

I don't think the Blu-ray is out until July. I can only vouch for previous NY Blu-rays, which were excellent and played perfectly well on my UK-located equipment.

FWIW, I'm going to buy the vinyl, as I already have a great sounding digital (FLAC) copy.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
WinterRacer said:
Thanks, downloaded and ready to play! :)

You're welcome.

I'm currently playing it too, much to my wife's disgust.

1) She hates all my NY albums 2) she fondly remembers the childhood versions of most of these songs and can't stop laughing at NY & Crazy Horse's "mangled" reclamation. 3) She's trying to meet an essay deadline. 4) I'm drinking beers.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
As God Save The Queen is the last track (I hope) I might consider buying the album as I have no intention of listening to any version of Prince Charles' favourite song and I can lift the arm before I get there. >)

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
gregvet said:

I don't think the Blu-ray is out until July. I can only vouch for previous NY Blu-rays, which were excellent and played perfectly well on my UK-located equipment.

FWIW, I'm going to buy the vinyl, as I already have a great sounding digital (FLAC) copy.

In which case, can I ask whether there are visuals too, or just audio on the blurays you have? And on your system can you hear a significant improvement overthe standard flac version?

Thanks Charlie.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
gregvet said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
gregvet said:

In which case, can I ask whether there are visuals too, or just audio on the blurays you have? And on your system can you hear a significant improvement overthe standard flac version?

Thanks Charlie.

Hi Gregvet,

The Blu-rays I own are the ten disc NY Archives Volume 1 and are a lavish mix of audio and visuals. Stunning in fact. But that was all designed for that particular retrospective, archival set.

I'd imagine the current Americana LP will feature visuals too on the Blu-ray, perhaps something similar to the film showing on the official NY website. Personally, I find that off-putting and would prefer audio only. (The Archives box was quite a feat because it kept the visual side of things interesting but also allowed you to just listen with a minimal moving image too, if preferred).

I can't compare the current album, as I've only got the FLAC version. I have got the Blu-ray Archive box in other formats though (256k, CD, vinyl) and I rate it very highly. Level pegging with vinyl mostly.

Not sure if that answers your question though,sorry.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts