American TV Channels in UK via satellite

entropy2

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

I just got back from a nice messy stag doo in magaluf and it got me thinking. How are they able to have Sky TV over there? it also made me wonder that if they can get Sky TV in spain then is it possible for us in the UK to pick up live american TV stations or any other stations from around the world?

I love american TV shows and all the old repeats they have during their day time TV would love to be able to watch.

Thanks

Biffta

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Strange how you've used capital letters for Sky TV and not for Magaluf, Spain or American!

Anyway, in response to:

"How are they able to have Sky TV over there? it also made me wonder that if they can get Sky TV in spain...."

It's quite technical, they point their satellite dish towards the satellite and plug their Digibox in.

Magic really!

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
Welcome on board entropy2; you could see Sky in Spain because the beam width of the satellites used by Sky (Astra and Eurobird) are just wide enough to cover most of Europe.

I don't know which satellites carry American domestic TV, but it's highly likely that they only provide coverage to that region.

The satellite information websites Lyngsat or Satbeams will most likely give you a better idea.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Biffta said:
Strange how you've used capital letters for Sky TV and not for Magaluf, Spain or American!

Anyway, in response to:

"How are they able to have Sky TV over there? it also made me wonder that if they can get Sky TV in spain...."

It's quite technical, they point their satellite dish towards the satellite and plug their Digibox in.

Magic really!

Helpful. Really helpful.

daveh75

You cant receive channels from US focused satellites in the UK, simply because those satellites fall below our horizon.

There are plenty of European satellites (and a couple of middle eastern) that are receivable in the UK though, around 30-40 satellites carrying 10,000+ channels (depending on dish size and location) including European versions of some of the US channels.

As a (rough) guide enter your full address in Dishpointer then click on the link underneath the map that says 'all available satellites and estimated dish sizes', which does exactly what it says on the tin.

Then go to KingOfSat for example and you can search the satellites, and the packages and channels that are carried on them.

entropy2

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the advice guys. (excluding that Biffta guy of course)

I used those websites you gave me and looks like I can only pick up a couple of channels but not the ones I was after.

Thanks again

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts