Amazon....shrinking!!!

Dalesman

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Just heard on Sky News....Amazon rain forest is shrinking @ 3 football pitches PER MINUTE !!

I'm just so perturbed at reading this. Your thoughts please as i cant think clearly at the mo .

A

Anonymous

Do you want the hard truth?

Too many people on this planet, they need to make room, for paper, timber, and drugs for us. And us

Forget about the animals or things they destroy

This is you and me. This is why we wont be here for very long.

Harsh I know, but real, its human nature to devide and conquer.

What do you think will happen when all the trees are gone? Were will we get our oxygen.

And what a place to post, in hi-fi, how much energy does it take to run your/my amp and pc...Its human nature. to have the best and need the best.

kPfRLewAJVEQ0AAAAASUVORK5CYII%3D

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:I'm just amazed that this comes as a revelation to the OP...

Yeh I was disgusted at this in the 80's and I am only 32.

Things have not changed, But I think now they need to plant A new tree for every 10,000 they chop down, so good news for the animals and us.
emotion-3.gif

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Instead of relying on sensationalist belated news from Sky converted into a dumbed down approachable equation (ie football pitches)try looking at sites like WWF and fsc.org to understand whats going on. Organisations like JLewis B&Q, Homebase and Haymarket themselves have already made the change to sustainability- (paper/furniture are major culprits) but in the end we always want something cheap and do not care about the consequences.

Dalesman

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Sometimes ordinary folks need dumbed down equations to get the truth home.339 football pitches have disappeared in the Amazon since this OP.It bothers me for sure.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
Dalesman:Sometimes ordinary folks need dumbed down equations to get the truth home.339 football pitches have disappeared in the Amazon since this OP.It bothers me for sure.

Sorry but I am ordinary too.And as Andrew intimated ,the story has been around for quite some time(decades)

D

Deleted member 2457

Andrew Everard:I'm just amazed that this comes as a revelation to the OP...

I second that Andrew.

Dalesman

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Amazon, Shrinking - Home Cinema - Well maybe widening of the debate on this influential forum will force some manufacturers to think about producing more energy efficient products in the future possibly with energy ratings on the same lines as dishwashers/washing machines etc.

A

Anonymous

Dalesman:

Amazon, Shrinking - Home Cinema -

Well maybe widening of the debate on this influential forum will force some manufacturers to think about producing more energy efficient products in the future possibly with energy ratings on the same lines as dishwashers/washing machines etc.

Many manufacturers are taking notice. In fact my tv has a 'polar bear friendly' mode...or 'eco mode'.....one of the two, can't remember which right now, since it's always disabled.

They do give figures on the energy consumption of their products though.

Would that have deterred you from buying a 50" energy hungry beast of a tv?

A

Anonymous

What!!! I'll have to buy my HDMI leads from somewhere else now
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

Dalesman:

Would that have deterred you from buying a 50" energy hungry beast of a tv?

Definitely !!!!

A basic online search revealed that the power consumption of your tv is 692w whilst in use, so the information is out there. By the fact that you now own the tv, I can only deduce that you either:

1. didn't know this which most likely means that you didn't carry out a search (not a prioirty issue?); or

2. you were aware of it, and went ahead with the purchase regardless,

both of which seem in my mind to contradict your affirmation that had the information been available to you, you would not have bought the tv.

This is not intended to be a criticism by the way. I too use a/v equipment which is relatively energy hungry, and so am not in a position to criticise or lecture.

Dalesman

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Yes I admit it was an impulsive decision based on the deal on offer and frankly the energy consumption didn't even cross my mind then.

My point is this.Had the manufacturer been under an obligation to declare an energy rating along with the various features of this TV say from A to G on the same lines as refrigerators/washers,then it would have become a priority and I would have looked for a more efficient model.

When there's so much emphasis on more energy efficient products from cars to bulbs then why are A/V products excluded from this? Its all very well to have a power save mode in the menu but quite another to have a rating which the consumer can use as a tool to make an informed decision.

A

Anonymous

Agreed. It does seem a little odd that tvs don't have to comply with this labelling requirement.

Sonic Dreamer

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
The extent of Humanity's ignorance is beyond the Rubicon, this kind of statistical information is certainly alarming, but as several people have said not especially revelatory. How about this radiatory salvo to ponder on..... at present science/technology propagated thereof only has the capability to detect and measure the "lowest" (crudest) form of nuclear radiation. There are, however, three "higher" levels of nuclear radiation of a more refined quality that science does not have the capability to detect and measure. The downside to this, of no little import, is that the subtler levels of nuclear radiation are substantially more deleterious to human health and the ecosystem than the one basic form of nuclear radiation recognised by science. This is a major impact factor on the generally depleted condition of the human immune system, which is susceptible to viruses that it would normally have the resources to fend off and contain.

The scientific and environmental experts estimate that we have anything between 30 and 50 years to rectify the damage we have done the environment and its attendant ecosystems, before the levels of contamination (pollution) render the planet difficult to support human life to the extent of well-being we need and desire. Alas, this is a woefully inadequate prognosis and in real terms we have approximately 15 years to restore the planet's environment, before the damage we have negligently assailed the planet with is irrevocable.

There is some hope though, in equal measure to the grim prospects aforementioned. Developments behind the scenes of unparalleled magnitude are quietly unfolding in the background unbeknownst to the majority of people. The peculiar "milky way" light formation that recently appeared in the Norwegian skies was not the thoroughly ludicrous result of a defective Russian missile launch as the allegedly well informed experts in some quarters would have us suppose.

It is rather a significant portend for an event, which will have a wide ranging, positive influence on Humanities present inertia. The event to which I allude is the first public appearance on a major USA broadcast media programme of spiritual teacher called Maitreya. Maitreya in the coming years will inspire Humanity to make the necessary decisions and commitments to implement strategies to save the environment and other socio-economic imbalances that threaten our survival. many will scoff at such claims, saying no spiritual teacher in the past have succeeded in steering Humanity away from perilous action, but those people in this category, I say keep an open mind, wait and see and be prepared to be astonished.

The Norwegian spiral light formation was actually created by one of four "stars", which are directly related to Maitreya's advent. These "stars" have been visible within the Earth's atmosphere for the last year and there is quite a lot of footage of them from various parts of the world available on YouTube.

Cheers,
SonicD

Dalesman

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
"The extent of Humanity's ignorance is beyond the Rubicon, this kind of statistical..."

Wow ! That went totally over my head the first time,had to read it twice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts