Am i insane???

Rick1979

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

i've got an Alpha 9 amp, 650bd and Rs6's, just got the BD and i can't believe how good it is. Anyway, i then decided i might dip a toe into surround sound so i bought a Yam dsp e800 to connect to the Alpha, trouble is i don't want anymore rs sized speakers so my idea was to buy some style speakers. Can this be done so it won't sound horrible or as the title sugguests 'am i insane'?

I could always sell it on to another eejit :rofl:

If it can be done what would you recommend? i'll stick to rears and a centre, not sure i'll need a sub.

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
It can be done without a problem.
If you want them to sound more or less the same, then I would stick to the same speaker brand.

Rick1979

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Cheers Kev and Ben.

TBH i was thinking more vector :) lol as i don't want to throw too much at it. Processor has cost £50, 20m of cable off the bay £12 and hopefully some 2nd hand rears and centre for under £100. I can't see this working and i may get fed up and sell it all before too long you see, but i like to have a play.

kevinJ

Nov 2, 2008
Visit site
Rick1979 said:
Cheers Kev and Ben.

TBH i was thinking more vector :) lol as i don't want to throw too much at it. Processor has cost £50, 20m of cable off the bay £12 and hopefully some 2nd hand rears and centre for under £100. I can't see this working and i may get fed up and sell it all before too long you see, but i like to have a play.

If you're in the UK, maybe you should check ebay. There is a pair of vector bookshelves and a center available (both combined cost about double of what you wanted to pay though)

Rick1979

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks agin eveyone for the input.

Yeah i've seen the vector's on ebay, just under £170 delivered for both. The amp will be here here shortly but to start with i'm tempted to try some jamo 100's, centre and rears 100s i've seen on ebay. Rears have been relisted after failing to sell at £10 and a centre went for £30inc p&p. I know these are'nt the same make or won't be as good but i can upgrade them later on if i like the effect. This way if i decide surround is'nt for me i've only laid out £100 and i would more or less get it back through re-selling.

Good idea or not?

John Duncan

Personally I wouldn't bother with a centre unless you can get an RS to match; I'd rather just have the phantom centre from the front two. This assumes that your front two are quite close together by the side of the TV though.

Rears can be quite different to the front three without too much bother. IMO.

Rick1979

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that JD. Rs6's are 2m apart, unless i decide to hang the tv back on the wall i have'nt got room for another rs tbh and it would'nt go down well with the gaffer as she prefers the tv on it's stand (summat about it being more homely and less like a waiting room :rofl:) I think i'll go for the rear vectors for now and see how i get on. Never had a problem with dialogue from the fronts on blu rays etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts