Am I going to blow up my amp?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey,

I was wondering if some kind soul might be able to offer me some advice.

I have a Rega Mira amp which I have been running with two sets of speakers wired into. I have been using a set of Gale 4040 Floorstanding speakers and a pair of Gale Gold Monitors.

I recently bought a pair of Rega RS5 speakers which should arrive in the post tomorrow. I'm sure they will radically transform my set up.

My question is; if I take out the Gale 4040's and replace them with the Rega RS5's whilst still leaving the Gale Gold Monitors in as well will this fry or endanger my amplifier?

Sorry, I'm pretty mathematically inept and I can't say I grasp all this talk of OHM's and Impedence. I just love my music! =)

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Just to ease my troubled mind, can you confirm that you're not playing both sets of speakers at the same time? That you're switching between them?

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response.

Probably totally stupid of me but yes, both pairs of speakers are on at the same time.

A

Anonymous

The good news is that the protection circuitry in your amp should cut in before you fry anything. The bad news is that you still might damage your speakers.

Don't do it.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, i'll take your advice on board and just hook up the Rega speakers alone.

I take it this practice (connecting 2 sets of speakers to one amplifier) is a big no no in general?

jimdonnelly

Jun 22, 2007
Visit site
Tarquinh:

The good news is that the protection circuitry in your amp should cut in before you fry anything. The bad news is that you still might damage your speakers.

Don't do it.

Agreed.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
DeadHero:
Thanks, i'll take your advice on board and just hook up the Rega speakers alone.

I take it this practice (connecting 2 sets of speakers to one amplifier) is a big no no in general?

some amps have outputs for two sets of speakers, but it's generally meant for running speakers in another room. aside from potentially damaging kit, i'd say most the time 1 pair of speakers will sound better and more coherent then 2 pairs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts