Am I being a muppet?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
In August I bought a Toshiba SD-370E because at the time it was recommended as the best budget HD-DVD player under Best Buys.

It's great but I've just bought my first HD DVD (Transformers!) and it won't play. Nothing. Zilch. Nada.

Am I missing something? I know the Samsung DVD-HD870 has overtaken it but I don't want to buy a new player 4 months later!

Can somebody help me out?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No, you're not being a muppet, but the SD-370E was listed as the best budget DVD player, and it can upscale DVDs to near-HD quality.

It won't play HD DVD discs, as you've discovered, and neither will the Samsung. For that you need an HD DVD player - the Toshiiba HD DVD machines start from around £200 online.

A

Anonymous

Ah! Thanks Andrew.

So the "HD" in "Samsung DVD-HD870" doesn't mean HD at all? How much better quality are true HD movies then? I have the Toshiba 32C3030DB in case that's relevant. Is it worth me spending another £200?

What about the LG HT902TB Home Cinema in a Box? Will that play HD discs?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No, the HD in the DVD-HD870 just means it can upscale your DVDs to near-HD quality. But i doubt it's worth buying an HD DVD player for use with a 32in screen - you probably won't see the benefit over upscaled DVD. And with two HD disc formats out there, and prices still falling, I'd suggest you wait and see what happens.

It's a no on the LG system, too - again it only has same kind of upscaling as the Toshiba and Samsung players.

A

Anonymous

Well thank Chuck I asked before splashing out!

Thanks very much for the advice Andrew. I'll save my cash for a AV receiver and quality speakers I think.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Good plan!

emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts