Always Learning....Positions!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all ,

a week or so ago i was suffering from a serious case of upgradeitis and found myself yearning for new speakers and so on.However with the arrival of some attacama aurora 6 stands{speakers positioned on same unit as amp and cd before} and a new listening position with the odd bit of new seating and a decent rug on a wood floor i have recaptured what i first heard when i first auditioned my set up.

So what im saying is this,if you are getting a little tirered of your current set up a little jig around of your listening area can make a world of difference before you go out shelling out hundreds of pounds on new kit.

I am once again a very happy boy...............for now!!!

A

Anonymous

Yeah, I know what you mean - I had a serious shock when I moved house

lovstromp

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Instead of making a new thread on this...

Last week I sold my tv to try and convert my living room into a more hifi friendly environment. Positioned my speakers to fire down the long end of the room. Didn't notice any improvement straight away, as I still couldn't accomodate the right channel speaker long enough away from the side wall. On top of that the "new" back wall is plywood whereas they used to be by the concrete wall. And behind one of the speakers there's now a radioator and the door to the balcony, which is of glass mostly - behind the other.

Yesterday I pulled the speakers in to the room so they all were >1m away from side/backwalls. And couldn't get up from the couch again!

This has led me to pursuit the idea of completely re-thinking my living room furnitures. Instead of having a sofa, I'm thinking of getting a chair and set up a second living room in the bedroom. It's gonna cost me quite a bit but I think it's gonna be so much worth it! :)

So true!

Many years ago I used to deliver and set up hi-fi, as I had a job as 'Saturday boy'. The positioning was so important, and the great thing was everything sounded better in the home than in our shop.

We didn't sell 'hi-end', in fact it scarcely existed, save the odd Harman/Kardon Citation or Sansui AU-919. But the fun was getting great results from modest gear. It still is, in some ways. Far more fun to spend under a grand a get great music.

Even unplugging and reinserting everything can make a difference. And getting the speakers to 'sing' is the real aim. Most love space to breathe. Cheap amps often used to benefit more from good isolation/stands than better ones (I sold dozens of Mission Isoplats to NAD 3020 users).

While you are at it, try unplugging the router, 'fridge (not all night, maybe!), PC, phone chargers and so on. If it sounds better, you have another cheap upgrade, and lower electricity bills too.

A

Anonymous

Getting your speakers onto stands makes a massive difference, its not a subtle one at that. Even someone in audiophile denial could hear it.

lovstromp

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
nopiano said:
So true!

Many years ago I used to deliver and set up hi-fi, as I had a job as 'Saturday boy'. The positioning was so important, and the great thing was everything sounded better in the home than in our shop.

We didn't sell 'hi-end', in fact it scarcely existed, save the odd Harman/Kardon Citation or Sansui AU-919. But the fun was getting great results from modest gear. It still is, in some ways. Far more fun to spend under a grand a get great music.

Even unplugging and reinserting everything can make a difference. And getting the speakers to 'sing' is the real aim. Most love space to breathe. Cheap amps often used to benefit more from good isolation/stands than better ones (I sold dozens of Mission Isoplats to NAD 3020 users).

While you are at it, try unplugging the router, 'fridge (not all night, maybe!), PC, phone chargers and so on. If it sounds better, you have another cheap upgrade, and lower electricity bills too.

This I've got to try next time I feel my fridge needs cleaning!

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Obviously upgrading does make a difference but I think once you have spent say £2000 on a CD Player, Amp and speakers any changes after that you will hardly notice unless you make very expensive changes. Law of diminishing returns seem to apply. If of course you have a mismatch or have purchased the wrong speakers for your room a straight swop could make a big difference.

I think that home demos should always be had if possible. If not some advice from other forum members often helps sort things out.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts