Alternatives to Cyrus Stream X2?

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Interesting question since you already have 2 streamer, the apple tv and airport express. May I ask why you would want another streamer but now without a dac... :?

The first thing that comes to mind when thinking of a streamer without dac is a NAS that sends over ethernet cable. (if it sent over optical or any other digital cable it would have gone through a dac, me thinks.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
My own preference would be for a NAS drive (with suitable server/client software) piping into a DAC via USB, but that wasn't what you asked ...

If you're after a music server (without DAC) from a hi-fi manufacturer, you might consider the Simaudio Moon MiND 180D. I know a couple of people on the 'Wam who use them and are very happy. I think the price is about the same as the Cyrus. I don't know how the functions compare.

180MiNDb.jpg

:cheers:

Matt

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Superaintit said:
Interesting question since you already have 2 streamer, the apple tv and airport express. May I ask why you would want another streamer but now without a dac... :?

The first thing that comes to mind when thinking of a streamer without dac is a NAS that sends over ethernet cable. (if it sent over optical or any other digital cable it would have gone through a dac, me thinks.

Yes, I can and do stream from the iMac in the study through the ATV in the sitting room to my current DAC. But can I get better quality than this with a dedicated device reading the ALAC files stored on the iMac, or NAS, if I were to get one?

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
matt49 said:
My own preference would be for a NAS drive (with suitable server/client software) piping into a DAC via USB, but that wasn't what you asked ...

If you're after a music server (without DAC) from a hi-fi manufacturer, you might consider the Simaudio Moon MiND 180D. I know a couple of people on the 'Wam who use them and are very happy. I think the price is about the same as the Cyrus. I don't know how the functions compare.

180MiNDb.jpg

Matt

thanks Matt. I'll have a look at it. I don't really understand why these things should be so expensive without DAC an analogue stage.

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Save yourself a lot of money and get a Sonos Connect ( I know it has a DAC) just use the digital out. Much more reliable than Cyrus and easy to set up and excellent control interface.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Crossie said:
Save yourself a lot of money and get a Sonos Connect ( I know it has a DAC) just use the digital out. Much more reliable than Cyrus and easy to set up and excellent control interface.
Am I right in thinking that hi res is not supported?

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
ifor said:
Superaintit said:

Yes, I can and do stream from the iMac in the study through the ATV in the sitting room to my current DAC. But can I get better quality than this with a dedicated device reading the ALAC files stored on the iMac, or NAS, if I were to get one?

Yes, from what I've heard the Cyrus streamer is good, but its a lot of money for something (as far as I can tell) is no more than a Cyrus dac plus a streamer function. I think the main difference you will hear is the difference in sound signature and detail between the Cyrus and the Rdac.

That's what I heard comparing arcam Rdac and Cyrus X dac when streaming from a mac mini. The Cyrus streamer I heard on a seperate occasion. So it not 100% certainty, which you could only get by comparing with a Cyrus streamer and a Cyrus dac in your system...

EDIT: I'm assuming here you stream through the Rdac as the Cyrus cd 8 has no digital in according to specs. Furthermore: I found the Cyrus remote with the streamer not so user friendly.

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
[/quote]

Yes, from what I've heard the Cyrus streamer is good, but its a lot of money for something (as far as I can tell) is no more than a Cyrus dac plus a streamer function. I think the main difference you will hear is the difference in sound signature and detail between the Cyrus and the Rdac.

[/quote]

Just to clarify:

Stream X is a pure streamer no DAC

Stream XP is a streamer, DAC and preamp.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site

[/quote]

Just to clarify:

Stream X is a pure streamer no DAC

Stream XP is a streamer, DAC and preamp.

[/quote]

Yes, its just the streamer function I'm interested in, not the Cyrus DAC.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
matt49 said:

180MiNDb.jpg

Matt

it's shame the dealers are so few and far between. I'd love to try this one out. It's so neat and small too.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
ifor said:
it's shame the dealers are so few and far between. I'd love to try this one out. It's so neat and small too.

It might be worth giving this chap a call. I'm told that, aside from making isolation platforms, he supplies Moon kit, and he may have a demo model he could mail to you. (I'm assuming you're in the UK.)

Matt

PEAYEL

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
See signature. I think that the Sonos into my Cyrus 8 DAC is just about right. As all the Sonos outputs are on all of the time I have ABC the optical, coaxial and analogue outs into the Cyrus 8 and the 8 gives a fine account of itself. I guess that you will find the same with your kit. Unless you're going for overall upgrading the Sonos will easily suffice. I have posted elsewhere on here about my thoughts on HD, and I still can't hear a difference on my home set up.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Thanks Peayel. I do intend to upgrade my DAC and amplifier at some stage. Having so little Hi Res music, and it can't be streamed from iTunes through the ATV anyway, I have no opinion at all about whether or not it is better that CD quality, but I would rather keep my options open, especially if other items are going to upgraded.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts