Also after a budget system

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
I am now also after a budget system for my 3m by 5m lounge and have 3 options.

Onkyo CS 515 with BR2 or Kef iq5 speakers costing around £550 (for the kefs)

Cambridge Audio package with the 6 series amp and cd player and mordaunt short speakers for £550. Could use my current iq5's for this system and the MS for a micro system in my bedroom.

Rotel RA05 (cant do without the remote) Marantz CD6002 cd player at around £680 including cables.

With the last system i can use my current iq5's with it that are currently on a micro in the bedroom and an old pair of speakers can replace them and then buy a new set either for the Rotel, probably BR5's or something new Tannoys for example for the micro.

Budget isnt a problem and dab or radio is not essential. Which will sound the best, i assume the onkyo will struggle against the others and is the What hifi recommendation worth £300 (including replacement speakers) more than the cambridge set up. I listen to all types of music including classical rock and pop and the system will also be used to put sound from TV and DVD through.

matthewpiano

Firstly, forget the Onkyo. Yes, its a great little all-in-one solution and very musical, but good budget seperates leave it standing. I've just upgraded from CS-515DAB to Marantz CD5001/PM4001 to use with my Bronze 2s and I've noticed a much bigger difference than expected. If you can afford to skip that step now, I would do.

Either of the other packages would give you an excellent system for your money, but I would say that the Rotel/Marantz combo will comfortably out do the Cambridge Audio set-up. As well as the Rotel amp, try the new Marantz PM6002. It gives a different sound but might just be to your taste. The NAD gear is also well worth listening too. I'd organise some demos if I were you, because these brands vary quite dramatically in their sound and one is likely to please you more than the others.

TRENDING THREADS