Already having withdrawal symptoms...so sad...

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Lost my job a couple of weeks ago, so we are moving to where there's more opportunity in my field. Unfortunately our new living situation has no space for my system and wall sharing neighbors that wouldn't appreciate it anyway. So everything is boxed up now and will stay that way for at least 9 months. All future listening will be via my Apple TV, Benchmark headphone amp, and AKG headphones. I'm really missing my system already. It's going to be a painful transition. [:(]

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Maybe a little coaching from idc might help...
emotion-1.gif

carter

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
what a nightmare.i have to be out of my house by the 29th december and have noware to go yet,

is it wrong that the thought of not having my music and projector up is my biggest worry
emotion-9.gif

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
nodnarb4444:

what a nightmare.i have to be out of my house by the 29th december and have noware to go yet,

is it wrong that the thought of not having my music and projector up is my biggest worry
emotion-9.gif

lol, I definately feel your pain. I hope everything works out ok for you...

idc

My wife accepts that any time we move house consideratioon has to be given as to where the hifi will fit in and that it will be the first thing unpacked!

Hope things work well for you guys.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear that Jax, I'm living without my hifi too for the next year. You just might start enjoying head-fi, I am learning to love it. Wish you all the best

A

Anonymous

Jax look on it like this in 9 months you'll have a beautiful Bryston system now that's worth waiting for.

simon3102000

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
ah man that sucks :( i couldnt get through a day without my hi-fi. Maybe you could get some components out and smell them now and again, give it a real good sniff but carefull not to cry and damage it. I wouldnt move anywhere that couldnt house my hi-fi setup, everytime i go round someones house i always check to see if its descent enough for a hi-fi if not i feel sad for them even if they arent into hi-fi. Chin up dude.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
yeah thats really bad news and i feel for you especially since your set up looked so good visually as well - a lot of patience may be required now

it has taken me a long time to get permission to take over the dining room with my own system and i would find it very hard to go back to a lesser set up now

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the commiseration guys. It is painful, but I'll get used to it. I'm already looking a alternative headphones and headphone amps I can experiment with on the cheap during my 9 month sentence. That should provide an entertaining diversion.

My wife suggested I sell everything and rebuild when we eventually get a new home, but I just can't do it. I like my system too much to start all over.

A

Anonymous

jaxwired:

Lost my job a couple of weeks ago, so we are moving to where there's more opportunity in my field. Unfortunately our new living situation has no space for my system and wall sharing neighbors that wouldn't appreciate it anyway. So everything is boxed up now and will stay that way for at least 9 months. All future listening will be via my Apple TV, Benchmark headphone amp, and AKG headphones. I'm really missing my system already. It's going to be a painful transition.
emotion-6.gif

Hi Jax,

Sorry to hear about your job situation, hope things pick up for you.

I noticed on your bio you run Apple Tv and I was wondering if I can ask some noddy questions as I am considering a purchase? Do you use it to WiFi stream your Itunes content or Ethernet? If WiFi, what is the sound quality and streaming performance like? My plan would include a DAC but perhaps not straight away.

For info, I am looking to pipe in my music from our ITunes library (which I'm happy with) which is on a Pc in a different room to my Hifi. I'd like to be able to control the ITunes library for music selection when streaming rather than bring the Pc into the living room. Also, Apple Tv appeals as it has an UI through your Tv so you can easily see whats going on from the comfort of the sofa rather than getting up all the time to squint at a small display.

So, how do you find it? Any pearls of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Nick

grdunn123

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
nodnarb4444:

emotion-9.gif

Good luck Brandon, there but for the grace of God go quite a few of us!

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Hi Nick,

Sure, be glad to comment on the ATV. I have the new version that was just released. I'm running wifi and it's not even a current 'g' model router, but the slower 'n' type and I've had flawless performance. No drops or glitches of any kind. Superb sound. The sound is so good I sold my CD player a few days ago. I definately recommend a separate DAC and the use of the toslink optical output to achieve great sound. Also, when I upgraded to this wireworld optical cable the sound got better (which I know defies logic, but it is what it is).

I stream from iTunes on a desktop in another room. Setup was literally just a few clicks, nothing to it. My only gripe would be with iTunes itself. You can't have CDs in more than one genre. Other than that it's wonderful. I did have to recategorize all my music into my own genre classifications so it was easy to navigate my music. I also purchased a large USB harddrive and backed up all my music to it so I would never have to go through the painful burning process again.

Here's a link to my youtube video showing the setup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZMVxbCNa3U

A

Anonymous

nicholasc1585:jaxwired:

Lost my job a couple of weeks ago, so we are moving to where there's more opportunity in my field. Unfortunately our new living situation has no space for my system and wall sharing neighbors that wouldn't appreciate it anyway. So everything is boxed up now and will stay that way for at least 9 months. All future listening will be via my Apple TV, Benchmark headphone amp, and AKG headphones. I'm really missing my system already. It's going to be a painful transition.
emotion-6.gif

Hi Jax,

Sorry to hear about your job situation, hope things pick up for you.

I noticed on your bio you run Apple Tv and I was wondering if I can ask some noddy questions as I am considering a purchase? Do you use it to WiFi stream your Itunes content or Ethernet? If WiFi, what is the sound quality and streaming performance like? My plan would include a DAC but perhaps not straight away.

For info, I am looking to pipe in my music from our ITunes library (which I'm happy with) which is on a Pc in a different room to my Hifi. I'd like to be able to control the ITunes library for music selection when streaming rather than bring the Pc into the living room. Also, Apple Tv appeals as it has an UI through your Tv so you can easily see whats going on from the comfort of the sofa rather than getting up all the time to squint at a small display.

So, how do you find it? Any pearls of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Nick

You should think about a Sonos system. I have three zones and really do find it to be great.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the job situation. I hope you will get good and better opportunities for work.

Take it easy in the mean time and enjoy headfi.

I remember at one time I had to move from my Brighton's huge room into a very small room that can only fit a single bed and a small side table, in Romsey, Kent. Maaaann I had to leave my whole set up with a friend and lived on Sharp MD walkman for nearly 4 months. I could not take it anymore and moved to a proper house in Folkstone. And the hifi was the first item I took back from Brighton :)

A

Anonymous

jaxwired:

Hi Nick,

Sure, be glad to comment on the ATV. I have the new version that was just released. I'm running wifi and it's not even a current 'g' model router, but the slower 'n' type and I've had flawless performance. No drops or glitches of any kind. Superb sound. The sound is so good I sold my CD player a few days ago. I definately recommend a separate DAC and the use of the toslink optical output to achieve great sound. Also, when I upgraded to this wireworld optical cable the sound got better (which I know defies logic, but it is what it is).

I stream from iTunes on a desktop in another room. Setup was literally just a few clicks, nothing to it. My only gripe would be with iTunes itself. You can't have CDs in more than one genre. Other than that it's wonderful. I did have to recategorize all my music into my own genre classifications so it was easy to navigate my music. I also purchased a large USB harddrive and backed up all my music to it so I would never have to go through the painful burning process again.

Here's a link to my youtube video showing the setup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZMVxbCNa3U

Jax,

Many thanks for a speedy and concise response. It seems to confirm my beliefs on the benefit of this set-up. There is nothing better than having the honest views of an owner and user in support of ones product research IMO. The ability to tap into such a wealth of expertise, knowledge and willing, friendly support is a great strength of this forum.

Fingers crossed on the job front.

Cheers,

Nick

Edit: Jax - just watched your YouTube video - excellent, thanks. Oh, great looking system by the way (hope that does'nt bring back painful memories, D'oh!)

TRENDING THREADS