All in one systems supertest-Arcam Solo Mini

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi WHF Team,

In the latest issue of the magazine, you recommended pairing up the Solo Mini with either the MA Bronze BR2 or the Dali Lektor 1. Would the award winning B&W 685s be an even better match for the Arcam Solo Mini or would it be a waste of money to match the B&Ws with the Solo Mini?

Thanks.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
I agree with Chebby, have read reviews where they have partnered the mini with £2000 speakers to try and it was not disgraced. I have heard it with MA rs1s and it sounded great for a mini system.

manicm

I have the Solo Mini with the 685s - it's a very good pairing.

I recently heard the Monitor Audio RS1s with the Mini and expected greater clarity but the 685s seemed a bit better in this pairing, to my surprise.

I would audition Rega RS1, Dali Lektor 1/2, and KEF iQ30s - all three speakers are excellent by all accounts and the Rega and KEF have high sensitivity as well.

A

Anonymous

seakingadvice, Am I right in saying that you have tried both the dm37 & solo mini, and if so how much better is the solo mini in your opinion?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the views on this.

Regarding using more efficient speakers, is there any guideline on when we need to worry about using more efficient speakers and when we don't need to be bothered about this?

The B&W 685s sensitivity rating is 88db and the noise impedance is at 8 ohms so I assume that they are "sensitive" enough to be paired with the Arcam Solo mini?

manicm

seakingadvice:Thanks for the views on this. Regarding using more efficient speakers, is there any guideline on when we need to worry about using more efficient speakers and when we don't need to be bothered about this? The B&W 685s sensitivity rating is 88db and the noise impedance is at 8 ohms so I assume that they are "sensitive" enough to be paired with the Arcam Solo mini?

Like I said, I have the Solo Mini with the 685s and they are a very good pairing - no problems whatsoever. But do audition the KEF iQ30s and Rega RS1s as well.

A

Anonymous

Thanks manicm.

Have you tried the Solo Mini with the smaller 686s as well? What made you choose the B&W 685s over all the other competitors?

manicm

seakingadvice, actually I wanted the 686s first but then my dealer convinced me to get the 685s instead - and I think the 685s are better suited - they're more sensitive and flexible (being front-ported if a bit bigger). So I got the 685s on a whim!

However he also strongly recommended the Monitor Audio RS1s - so I just flipped a coin :)

TRENDING THREADS