All in a P3 spin . . .

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Well not quite, but I am getting excited about what I heard on Wednesday and waiting for the amp to arrive :bounce:

Having now decided to have the Croft Valve Integrated with the valve MM phono stage, I will be looking at turntables in 2012. Been a long time but the old ways still seems to rule at the level I'm on. Seems to be a few Regas on FleBay, the P3-24 is in budget new?

Looking at the Apollo CDp, my intention is to use it connected via the analogue output. However I am a tinkerer . . . I have an HRT DAC, I'd like to give it a go, but not sure how to connect it. The input on the HRT is USB type 'B', the digital output on the Apollo looks like a single phono?

Advise on the above would be appreciated . . .

CJSF

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
Looking at the Apollo CDp, my intention is to use it connected via the analogue output. However I am a tinkerer . . . I have an HRT DAC, I'd like to give it a go, but not sure how to connect it. The input on the HRT is USB type 'B', the digital output on the Apollo looks like a single phono? Advise on the above would be appreciated . . . CJSF

Leave the Apollo connected with it's analogue RCA. It has pretty good DACs built in.

Your HRT Streamer II (USB only) DAC has it's own party trick. It is asynchronous and handles music files up to 24 bit and 96khz (much higher quality than CD which is 16 bit and 44.1 khz).

You seem to like classical music. Try downloading high quality "studio master" files from Linn Records like these for example or from Gimmel. Could be interesting.

CJSF said:
Seems to be a few Regas on FleBay, the P3-24 is in budget new?

But it is discontinued, so be quick for a new one. The RP3 is the slightly better upgrade at £475 new.

There are always loads of Regas on ebay, but its always worth checking the age and if it has one owner. It is easy to mis-identify them too, as they mostly look the same!

There was a tale recently (elsewhere) about a 6-month old one bought via ebay where the motor came loose in transit. Rega got the local dealer to replace it free. That's what I call good service!

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
CJSF said:
Looking at the Apollo CDp, my intention is to use it connected via the analogue output. However I am a tinkerer . . . I have an HRT DAC, I'd like to give it a go, but not sure how to connect it. The input on the HRT is USB type 'B', the digital output on the Apollo looks like a single phono? Advise on the above would be appreciated . . . CJSF

Leave the Apollo connected with it's analogue RCA. It has pretty good DACs built in.

Your HRT Streamer II (USB only) DAC has it's own party trick. It is asynchronous and handles music files up to 24 bit and 96khz (much higher quality than CD which is 16 bit and 44.1 khz).

You seem to like classical music. Try downloading high quality "studio master" files from Linn Records like these for example or from Gimmel. Could be interesting.

Yes Chebby, I get the massage, point taken, makes sense. I have a wide musical taste, from Blue grass and country, through gospel, jazz, quality popular rock of the 70's and 80's . . . I struggle with modern pop rock? Classical has always been bottom of the list, until recently (months) there is stuff in there I'm finding a revelation. At the moment its the popular classics I enjoy, purely because I know it. But I feel like I have awakened a giant, I listen to the radio, like that, make a note, track it down on Spotify for a better listen, then one can search out the quality sites for downloads as you suggest, exciting.

Hazel has always enjoyed classical music, but never pursued it past listening on classic FM and radio 3, we can enjoy discovering 'music' together. Another side to our life, we both have reading difficulties associated with dyslexic symptoms, audio books will be a pleasure, like listening to a radio play, I do like a good play. A whole new world is opening before us. Once the operation is out of the way, we are quite looking forward to 2012?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I take Chebbys point . . . but as a tinkerer, I'd still like to give it a go, simply to see how the HRT DAC compares with Rega's own? So the question still stands, please . . . ?

CJSF

VinylRush

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Hey CJSF.

I have bought a P3 24 with TTpsu off the bay a few weeks ago. Bought a Goldring 2500 for it too. I also bought a Rega DAC and a Brio R.

Do you want to know what, the P3 24 slays the Rega DAC playing ALAC. Comparing my 'Remastered' CD's to vinly I have recently picked up off the bay is a revelation. Vinyl slays digital all over the place. It was really an eye opener.

Last night I played a vinyl I picked up off the bay for a few quid, it was John Foxx's The Garden. I also have The Garden on 'Remastered' CD which I picked up last year. The CD remastering is meant to be regarded as very good. I put the vinyl on last night for the first time and it blew away the CD in every way possbile.

I will now be picking up a lot more vinyl in future. I'm totally addicted to vinyl now!!

I picked up a P3 24 with TTPSU and a Goldring 2500 for the same price as a bare RP3 by looking on the bay and hifi classifieds (got the p3 on bay and goldring on a classified site). 2nd hand is the way to go.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts