ALAC-HD 24bit/AirPlay???

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Does anyone know if it's possible to play 24bit files over AirPlay/ATV without them being downsampled?

I know both AEX and ATV downsample high-rez files to 16/44, but in my ongoing obsession with the band My Morning Jacket I've recently purchased a slew of their recent mammoth live shows from an official site in ALAC-HD format. The different file size options run from mp3 to FLAC, ALAC and ALAC-HD. The website claims the latter is compatible with AirPlay/ATV and in 24bit/48kHz file size.

The shows sound great but will the ATV still simply downsample the files?

Chr1s_J

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
There was a thread on here a bit ago about just this thing...

I think the general concensus was that Airplay always upsampled/downsampled to 16/44

I have some 24 bit music that I have to stream using an alternative method if I want to listen to it. Luckily my hifi recognises my laptop as network storage and is able to play the files this way.

I'll have a look for the thread for you

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Chr1s_J said:
There was a thread on here a bit ago about just this thing...

I think the general concensus was that Airplay always upsampled/downsampled to 16/44

I have some 24 bit music that I have to stream using an alternative method if I want to listen to it. Luckily my hifi recognises my laptop as network storage and is able to play the files this way.

I'll have a look for the thread for you

Thanks, I don't recall that thread but will do a search.

I can play my 24bit stuff via another method (my Denon has a front loading USB input) but I was intrigued by the aforementioned website's claims for ALAC- HD and 24bit compatibility with both ATV & AirPlay. My NAD DAC displays 48kHz when receiving any signal from the Apple TV, so doesn't seem able to discern a 24bit file from a 16bit one.

Like many people I would like a 24 bit and 96 or 192 kHz enabling Airplay device because in all other respects the Apple boxes are ideal for my streaming needs.

TRENDING THREADS