Aktimate Mini Vs Nuforce icon2 + Dali Zenzor 1

jimmy.cross

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm cosidering a system for my office. I don't really want to spend much money, but I am considering the following options:

. A pair of active speakers like the Aktimate Mini's (I have an arcam rPac that could be used as source).

. A simple Nuforce Icon-2 (really cheap now that they are discontinued) + Dali Zenzor 1.

I am not sure whether the Icon-2 is powerful enough to drive the Zenzor. Also, do the Zenzor 1 represent a good improvement over the Aktimates?

Cheers!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
jimmy.cross said:
I'm cosidering a system for my office. I don't really want to spend much money, but I am considering the following options:

. A pair of active speakers like the Aktimate Mini's (I have an arcam rPac that could be used as source).

. A simple Nuforce Icon-2 (really cheap now that they are discontinued) + Dali Zenzor 1.

I am not sure whether the Icon-2 is powerful enough to drive the Zenzor. Also, do the Zenzor 1 represent a good improvement over the Aktimates?

Cheers!

OK, first things first.

The Aktimates are not active speakers, they are conventional 2 way passive speakers with a modestly powerful stereo amplifier in one of the speakers (master) linking to the second (slave) speaker via a length of regular speaker cable. Convenient but really nothing special.

A proper active speaker on the other hand would be a different proposition altogether. At a ridiculous low price the Seiwin SN4a, from London pro-audio dealer Studiospares, have active crossover, 40watt amplifier for the 4inch bass driver, 20watt amplifier for the tweeter in each cabinet.

Connect line level from your rPac and you have an amazing desktop system, I use a pair as a proper second system that gets a lot of use and they are very listenable indeed.

If they are sitting on the actual desktop, see if you can get hold of a pair of Audio Engine desktop stands, they angle the speakers and decouple the speaker, very worthwhile.

The speakers cost just £106 per pair, practically beer money so if you want to throw more money at the system, try the Yamaha HS5 at a still modest £270.

gasolin

I have the dali's for my tv (with a subwoofer croosover at 84 hz), i feel they are bright and a thin midrange but still sound good playing some music, they are easy to drive, i just feel i need someting in the midrange watching tv (not music)

I have the yamaha hs8 which are very good, you might wanna decrease the midrange around 1khz that has a bumb (enhanced) if you buy the hs5

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts