AJ19/Nait 5i/Brio R with LS50/685 S2

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I know there has been quite a lot written about these pairings, but anyway. These are the generaly favourable amps/speakers for which I can get a deal within my budget around here - AJ19/Nait 5i/Brio R and LS50/685 S2, and I'm not quite sure what to choose.

For starters, a perfect listening experience for me is focused listening with Sgt. Peppers, Depeche Mode's Violator and My Bloody Valentine's Loveless (fan of the music) for example and Eagles or Phill Collins (fan of production). So more or less organic with electronic elements, FLAC from a Mac or vinyl.

Which combination do you think I would enjoy most? Everything written about the LS50 seems to represent what I would want from a speaker. But would you think that I would find (coming from Dali Concepts and a Yamaha RN500, which I liked for the budget) the 685 more entertaining than the LS50? Is there a big compromise in informativeness?

I'm even less sure about the amps and count on anyone's help to shed some light on my choice. Any better alternatives in this price bracket?

Thank you for your input! Much appreciated.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site

The LS50s are not the easiest of speakers, B&W are certainly different, depends on your taste, do you want accurate sound? Those amps may work but I really think you need more power for the LS50s. Can you hear them before buying? Other speakers to consider are Tannoy Precision 6.1, Kef R100 and R300.

Room size? Volume you listen at?

There was a very long post recently about the LS50 which you may wish to read.

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
That's my problem, dealers rarely have them in stock in my area as the market is to small around here, hope I get a hold of a pair to hear soon. Yes, I like accurate sound, although it's been a couple of years since I've been in a studio now, just not sure if I would like it in the long-term.

The room is about 30 sq m, which is a little over 300 sq feet. That's another point, listening volumes are largely moderate. I have tinnitus and generaly prefer to listen wisely and resist the urge to turn up too often.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it more thoroughly.

rainsoothe

hi

Ok, you room is not small, so you should also consider floorstanders. Also, the 685 S2 can sound harsh if partnered wrongly, and, as mentioned above, the LS50 would struggle with insufficient power, but only because your room is so big - people use them with Unitiqute 2 with no complaints, but i think their rooms are a bit smaller. Also, I am a Naim fan, but from what i know the Nait 5i is a bit lacking, and is pretty bright - so combining it with 685 S2 should defenately be out of the question.

Were it me, I would look for one of these 4 combinations (ignoring dac/streamer side of the equation): 1. Marantz PM6005 + Dali Zensor 3 (a very musical combo, with a liquidy and spacious sound; also, the Marantz has a phonostage for your turntable, and a DAC with optical and coax inputs). 2. Naim Nait 5si or Arcam FMJ A19 + B&W 685 S2 (the 5si is considered a noticeable improvement over the 5i, and if it's rhythmic drive and musicality you seek, Naim are among the best - no phono stage on the Naim at least). 3. XTZ A100D3 + XTZ 99.23 mkII (XTZ are awesome imo and unbeatable at the price; the amp has a phono stage, but no headphone socket in case you needed one; it also has a DAC with no USB input if I remember correctly but, like in the Marantz it's nothing to write home about; this is a swedish internet based company, so you can return them if you don't like them). 4. Quad Vena + Q Acoustics 2050i (haven't heard any of these, but they are both very well regarded products and seem like a great budget partnership - the Quad being a bit bright, and the Q acoustics complementing it with a rounded top end and warm sound; the Quad has a DAC which also has an asynchronous USB input, so if you're planning on streaming music from a PC or laptop, that's a good thing and saving u some cash on a different component).

Also, I think any of these and even the ones you mention are way better then a Yamaha. I haven't heard this new RN range, but if it's anything like the AS-500, for me it's a no-go.

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks a lot!

I'm leaning in favour of the Arcam/B&W combo but will wait until I hear the LS50 with something proper to drive them.

Oh, and I gave a false estimate, it's 24 sq m (with a mansard ceiling on one side).

TRENDING THREADS