Airport Express woes

Timpd

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm, this is what I wanted to say;

Just dipping my toe in the water to see how my experience of AE compares. I wanted to stream i tunes from my PC to the stereo in another room. The ‘simple’ set up took me days. I nearly binned it but somehow got it going today after many hours, acronyms and expletives had passed. To my dismay the sound through a PM 6004 and MA RX1 was thin and quite harsh. Compared to the same tracks burned to CD and played through an old Rotel RCD 02 it was pretty rubbish to be honest. Is that to be expected or have I gone wrong somewhere? I can’t access the internet at the same time so the much touted internet radio is a non starter. That is probably my set up but I don’t want to start meddling quite yet.

Any thoughts?

As an aside ,would a Marantz CD 6004 be a decent step up from the Rotel?

Thanks Tim

Timpd

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Maybe, but Sonos are in a different price league. The AE was a cheap option and i guess you get what you pay for.It has been well received by some so that is why I thought perhaps my set up was wrong.

Juzzie Wuzzie

I think your set-up is wrong. By the sounds of it, you have the AEX creating a new network, rather than joining your current WiFi network. Changing that setting will allow you to use internet and Airplay at the same time.

As for sound quality, somewhat subjective. I run my AEX into a Naim 5i-2 / Neat Iota combination, and am very happy with the result. At GBP80, I think they are a fantastic toe dip into streaming, and far better value for money than Sonos. Again, all in my opinion.

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
Agree - AEX is an excellent bit of kit. Cheap and when working (it has problems) is seemless and very good quality. I currently have mine (the latest version after my old on just would not do as it was told) attached directly to my old Sony amp and it plays brilliantly - I even think the sound is pretty damn good!

If you have the latest, then you can set the thing up easily using the AirPort Utility app on your smartphone. I did it this way and it was simple. The older units have issues and it can be a real mess trying to set them up - I have spent dozens of hours of my life trying to make them work and have felt like you on a number of occasions.

Post some issues you're having and we'll try and help. As above - make sure you get it to connect to your existing network. 'Should' be simple. He says!

Timpd

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the offer of help but having had to move my router and amp etc to accommodate the AEX I have decided it is just not worth the bother at the moment.I can live with my systen for now and may revisit this again in the future. Thanks again. Tim

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts