Airport Express Alternative?

PadRock

Jul 31, 2007
Visit site
Does anyone know of an AirPlay alternative to an Airport Express? I want to wirelessly play music into a Bose Wave rado / CD player using the analogue audio input (I currently just plug in an iPod). I know that an Airport Express will do the job, but was wondering if there were any other alternatives?

The Airport Express seems to have a bit more functionality that I wouldn't use so was looking to see if there was a simpler (& cheaper) option.

All suggestions most welcome!

brandmartyr

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
If you are computer based and your iPod is an iPod Touch - one cheap but effective solution could be the Airfoil application. This sits on your Mac/PC and can stream the audio from whatever application you are using. There is a companion app called Airfoil Speakers which you download onto your iPod Touch which then acts as the wireless interface for your wireless replay. You can read more about it here. http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
hi,

I would advise you to get the airport express, I have tried other cheaper wireless devices but they don't sound as good are not as stable and definitely don't have the same feature set. Try getting one second hand if you find its too expensive. Trust me, the money you will save is not going to be worth the effort you have to put through.

shafesk said:
hi,

I would advise you to get the airport express, I have tried other cheaper wireless devices but they don't sound as good are not as stable and definitely don't have the same feature set. Try getting one second hand if you find its too expensive. Trust me, the money you will save is not going to be worth the effort you have to put through.

I did that, but AirPort Express never worked for me. It kept dropping my network (even though I was using AirPort Extreme router). Couldn't even return as I bought it second hand.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
The previous generation one (the one which plugs in straight into the wall) did have some problems with dropouts but the new generation one has never given me any trouble in my 5000 square feet home, so I think it should be enough for most users.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
rockitdoc said:
Tell me more. How do you use the homeplugs with the Airport Express in your configuration

Homeplugs might not be necessary in many cases, I have found that the following setup to be rock solid with the older plug in style AEX.

Keep the AEX close to your wifi router and connect via cable.

Switch off the wifi on the router and connect directly to the AEX, wirelessly.

Once connected switch the wifi to the 5Gb band and pick a nice high channel, I use 36.

Scanning your neighbours setups can allow you to pick a channel well clear of what everyone else is using, in my experience most people use the 'default' channel settings (1, 11 etc) on the 2.4Gb band.

rockitdoc

May 3, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
rockitdoc said:
Tell me more. How do you use the homeplugs with the Airport Express in your configuration

Homeplugs might not be necessary in many cases, I have found that the following setup to be rock solid with the older plug in style AEX.

Keep the AEX close to your wifi router and connect via cable.

Switch off the wifi on the router and connect directly to the AEX, wirelessly.

Once connected switch the wifi to the 5Gb band and pick a nice high channel, I use 36.

Scanning your neighbours setups can allow you to pick a channel well clear of what everyone else is using, in my experience most people use the 'default' channel settings (1, 11 etc) on the 2.4Gb band.

I guess you'regonna have to walk me through this. I have an Airport Extreme creating my wireless network (no other router). My internet is via this network and how I am communicating this, now, from another room. My Airport Express is plugged in the wall right behind the Extreme and is connected via cable to my DAT iT D/A converter which then connects to the integrated amp via RCA and out the speakers. I changed the frequency of the Extreme last night to 5 gHz and it changed itself to channel 149(I can't change this, it seems). Dropouts as before. I'm not sure I explained this very well, but I don't understand how to connect it any other way. Does thismake any sense?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I assume you are using a Macbook or iThing and linking to your network via wifi.

You have an AEX and an Extreme and, presumeably, a modem of one sort or another. Only one of these devices, preferably the AEX, should be enabled for wifi, which should be switched off on the others. The Extreme should be connected to your modem by cable, your AEX also, either direct to the modem or via the Extreme.

If you have a Macbook use system profiler to scan local wifi networks and choose a channel different from the ones that your neighbours are using, preferablty a high number channel on the 5GB band.

Connect to that wirelessly and things should be fine. My ancient Macbook/airfoil/AEX setup is rock solid.

rockitdoc

May 3, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
Ok, I assume you are using a Macbook or iThing and linking to your network via wifi.

You have an AEX and an Extreme and, presumeably, a modem of one sort or another. Only one of these devices, preferably the AEX, should be enabled for wifi, which should be switched off on the others. The Extreme should be connected to your modem by cable, your AEX also, either direct to the modem or via the Extreme.

If you have a Macbook use system profiler to scan local wifi networks and choose a channel different from the ones that your neighbours are using, preferablty a high number channel on the 5GB band.

Connect to that wirelessly and things should be fine. My ancient Macbook/airfoil/AEX setup is rock solid.

My iMac finally died last week and I had a spare Dell laptop running Windows 7, so I'm using that, for now. MediaMonkey organizes and plays my tunes, with Eric Milles' RSO connecting the PC to the Express. The configuration is like this: Cable from Comcast to modem via coax. Coax from modem to Extreme. Extreme outputs to Bluray player via phone-looking wire. Express plugged in wall next to Extreme. Extreme outputs to DAC iT via optical cable. DAT iT connects to integrated amp via RCA. If I understand you correctly, I should try a phone-like wire connection from the Extreme to the Express? If this works, I owe you at least an adult beverege of your choosing! I don't know if I have the ability to scan local wireless networks with my PC. Does this matter?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
rockitdoc said:
davedotco said:

My iMac finally died last week and I had a spare Dell laptop running Windows 7, so I'm using that, for now. MediaMonkey organizes and plays my tunes, with Eric Milles' RSO connecting the PC to the Express. The configuration is like this: Cable from Comcast to modem via coax. Coax from modem to Extreme. Extreme outputs to Bluray player via phone-looking wire. Express plugged in wall next to Extreme. Extreme outputs to DAC iT via optical cable. DAT iT connects to integrated amp via RCA. If I understand you correctly, I should try a phone-like wire connection from the Extreme to the Express? If this works, I owe you at least an adult beverege of your choosing! I don't know if I have the ability to scan local wireless networks with my PC. Does this matter?

Modem to Exreme should be a network cable not coax, just check. I am still concerned that you might have several wifi networks operational at the same time.

Connect you laptop directly to your modem by network cable. Find the settings page on the modem and make sure that if it has wifi, it is switched off. If you do not know how to do this your sevice provider should be able to help. Then connect directly to your Extreme and make sure it's wifi is switched off too.

Then with the three items connected by network cables your only point of wifi access is via the AEX. Set the channel as discussed. A nice high channel on the 5GB band should be fine.

If you are still getting dropouts then it is probably down to the RSO but I know nothing about Windows systems so don't quote me on that. Try connecting your laptop via cable to the AEX, that should tell you the wireless system is causing the problem.

If a fully wired system is still dropping out, then you probably have interference problems on you modem.

rockitdoc

May 3, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
rockitdoc said:
davedotco said:

Modem to Exreme should be a network cable not coax, just check. I am still concerned that you might have several wifi networks operational at the same time.

Connect you laptop directly to your modem by network cable. Find the settings page on the modem and make sure that if it has wifi, it is switched off. If you do not know how to do this your sevice provider should be able to help. Then connect directly to your Extreme and make sure it's wifi is switched off too.

Then with the three items connected by network cables your only point of wifi access is via the AEX. Set the channel as discussed. A nice high channel on the 5GB band should be fine.

If you are still getting dropouts then it is probably down to the RSO but I know nothing about Windows systems so don't quote me on that. Try connecting your laptop via cable to the AEX, that should tell you the wireless system is causing the problem.

If a fully wired system is still dropping out, then you probably have interference problems on you modem.

Modem to Extreme is a network cable.

I removed the Extreme from the equation. Bought a 2nd generation Express (so I could connect direct to the modem and remove any 'early version hardware issues'. Connected the Express to the modem via network cable. Connected the Express to the DAT iT via optic cable, DAT to Integra amp via RCA cables. Connected my iMac back up and set it up to play itunes through the new Express. No other network, just a simple playback from iMac to Express via airwaves and Express to Integra integrated amp via fiber optic/RCA. Dropouts continue.

Modem is mine. Motorola.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
rockitdoc said:
davedotco said:
rockitdoc said:
davedotco said:

I removed the Extreme from the equation. Bought a 2nd generation Express (so I could connect direct to the modem and remove any 'early version hardware issues'. Connected the Express to the modem via network cable. Connected the Express to the DAT iT via optic cable, DAT to Integra amp via RCA cables. Connected my iMac back up and set it up to play itunes through the new Express. No other network, just a simple playback from iMac to Express via airwaves and Express to Integra integrated amp via fiber optic/RCA. Dropouts continue.

Modem is mine. Motorola.

OK, two things to check, if the Modem is wifi capable, make sure this is switched off, then try different channels on the AEX.

If you are still getting dropouts try connecting your laptop via cable to your modem. Select AEX on your network and see what happens.

Try connecting your laptop via cable rather than wifi, again, see what happens.

rockitdoc

May 3, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
rockitdoc said:
davedotco said:
rockitdoc said:
davedotco said:

Modem is mine. Motorola.

OK, two things to check, if the Modem is wifi capable, make sure this is switched off, then try different channels on the AEX.

If you are still getting dropouts try connecting your laptop via cable to your modem. Select AEX on your network and see what happens.

So, if I understand: coax from Comcast to Modem; Modem to AEX WAN port; AEX to iMac via network cable?

:?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
rockitdoc said:
davedotco said:
rockitdoc said:
davedotco said:
rockitdoc said:
davedotco said:

Modem is mine. Motorola.

So, if I understand: coax from Comcast to Modem; Modem to AEX WAN port; AEX to iMac via network cable?

Sorry, now you are confusing me.

Are you using the iMac or the windows laptop?

Does your modem have wifi? Does it have multple network sockets, ie is it a modem/router?

Is your AEX the old plug in the wall type or the new freestanding type?

rockitdoc

May 3, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
rockitdoc said:
davedotco said:
rockitdoc said:
davedotco said:
rockitdoc said:
davedotco said:

Modem is mine. Motorola.

Sorry, now you are confusing me.

Are you using the iMac or the windows laptop?

Does your modem have wifi? Does it have multple network sockets, ie is it a modem/router?

Is your AEX the old plug in the wall type or the new freestanding type?

Figured it out. Finally. It was the DAT iT digital analog converter. Took it out of the equation, and poof! No more dropouts. I'm back to an Extreme creating a wifi network, and an old pluginthewall Express sending music to the Integra. Also, I hooked my iMac back up since iTunes is way easier to navigate than PC-based tunes, imho. Thanks for all the help. Nice, pristine Peachtree DAT iT for sale. :clap:

TRENDING THREADS